Sclerosing stromal tumour of the ovary
Sclerosing stromal tumour (SST) of the ovary is a rare ovarian neoplasm. It is considered a subtype of ovarian sex cord / stromal tumour and is included in the fibroma-thecoma group of ovarian tumors 9.
It occurs predominantly in young women, peaks around 2nd to 3rd decades of life 1-2.
Patients may have menstrual irregularity and/or pelvic pain 4. It is usually hormonally inactive, but it may occasionally have an oestrogenic effect (even more rarely an androgenic effect).
It is histologically characterized by cellular heterogeneity, prominent vasculature, and a pseudolobular appearance composed of cellular and hypocellular areas. They generally tend to be unilateral 3.
Described sonographic features (whilst being nonspecific) include tumour with multilocular cystic components and irregularly thickened septa and tumor walls or a solid tumor including several small cystic components 5.
Described signal characteristics include 5
- signal intensities of the cystic components are high and those of the solid components were inhomogeneous, ranging from intermediate-high to high
- MR may show pseudolobulation 7-8 of the lesion which consists of low-intensity nodules set against high-intensity stroma on T2-weighted images 7
- T1 C+ (Gd): dynamic imaging may show marked early enhancement of the solid components 5,7
- 1. Kawauchi S, Tsuji T, Kaku T et-al. Sclerosing stromal tumor of the ovary: a clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, ultrastructural, and cytogenetic analysis with special reference to its vasculature. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 1998;22 (1): 83-92. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Stylianidou A, Varras M, Akrivis C et-al. Sclerosing stromal tumor of the ovary: a case report and review of the literature. Eur. J. Gynaecol. Oncol. 2001;22 (4): 300-4. - Pubmed citation
- 3. Korobowicz E, Wronecki L, Siezieniewska-skowrońska Z. Sclerosing stromal tumour--a rare ovarian benign neoplasm: description of three cases. Folia Histochem. Cytobiol. 2001;39 Suppl 2 : 131-2. - Pubmed citation
- 4. Kuscu E, Oktem M, Karahan H et-al. Sclerosing stromal tumor of the ovary: a case report. Eur. J. Gynaecol. Oncol. 2003;24 (5): 442-4. - Pubmed citation
- 5. Joja I, Okuno K, Tsunoda M et-al. Sclerosing stromal tumor of the ovary: US, MR, and dynamic MR findings. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 25 (2): 201-6. J Comput Assist Tomogr (link) - Pubmed citation
- 6. Torricelli P, Caruso lombardi A, Boselli F et-al. Sclerosing stromal tumor of the ovary: US, CT, and MRI findings. Abdom Imaging. 27 (5): 588-91. doi:10.1007/s00261-001-0096-6 - Pubmed citation
- 7. Ihara N, Togashi K, Todo G et-al. Sclerosing stromal tumor of the ovary: MRI. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 23 (4): 555-7. J Comput Assist Tomogr (link) - Pubmed citation
- 8. Kim JY, Jung KJ, Chung DS et-al. Sclerosing stromal tumor of the ovary: MR-pathologic correlation in three cases. Korean J Radiol. 4 (3): 194-9. Korean J Radiol (link) - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 9. Roth LM. Recent advances in the pathology and classification of ovarian sex cord-stromal tumors. Int. J. Gynecol. Pathol. 2006;25 (3): 199-215. doi:10.1097/01.pgp.0000192271.22289.e6 - Pubmed citation