Segment involvement score
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
The segment involvement score (SIS) represents an estimate of the extent of the overall coronary plaque burden 1-3.
The segment involvement score is determined on coronary CTA by designation of a score of 1 for each one of the coronary artery segments with a detectable atherosclerotic coronary plaque, irrespective of the plaque size or individual plaque burden in that particular segment 1-3.
SIS ≤2 P1 (mild)
SIS 3-4 P2 (moderate)
SIS 5-7 P3 (severe)
SIS ≥8 P4 (extensive)
A higher segment involvement score has been associated with higher probability and is considered an independent predictor of cardiovascular events 4,5.
History and etymology
The segment involvement score has been first described by the American radiologist James K. Min and colleagues in 2007 1.
- 1. Min J, Shaw L, Devereux R et al. Prognostic Value of Multidetector Coronary Computed Tomographic Angiography for Prediction of All-Cause Mortality. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007;50(12):1161-70. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2007.03.067 - Pubmed
- 2. Johnson K, Johnson H, Zhao Y, Dowe D, Staib L. Scoring of Coronary Artery Disease Characteristics on Coronary CT Angiograms by Using Machine Learning. Radiology. 2019;292(2):354-62. doi:10.1148/radiol.2019182061 - Pubmed
- 3. Cury R, Blankstein R, Leipsic J et al. CAD-RADS™ 2.0 - 2022 Coronary Artery Disease - Reporting and Data System an Expert Consensus Document of the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (SCCT), the American College of Cardiology (ACC), the American College of Radiology (ACR) and the North America Society of Cardiovascular Imaging (NASCI). J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2022. doi:10.1016/j.jcct.2022.07.002 - Pubmed
- 4. Bittencourt M, Hulten E, Ghoshhajra B et al. Prognostic Value of Nonobstructive and Obstructive Coronary Artery Disease Detected by Coronary Computed Tomography Angiography to Identify Cardiovascular Events. Circ: Cardiovascular Imaging. 2014;7(2):282-91. doi:10.1161/circimaging.113.001047
- 5. Ayoub C, Erthal F, Abdelsalam M et al. Prognostic Value of Segment Involvement Score Compared to Other Measures of Coronary Atherosclerosis by Computed Tomography: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2017;11(4):258-67. doi:10.1016/j.jcct.2017.05.001 - Pubmed