Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma
Citation, DOI & article data
Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma (SNUC) is a rare sub type of sinonasal carcinoma. It is considered a highly aggressive neoplasm arising in the paranasal sinuses. It has recently been characterized as a distinct pathologic entity.
These tumors tend to be rather advanced at presentation.
Tumors usually tend to be large at presentation, with poorly defined margins. Most arise within the ethmoid sinuses and superior nasal cavity. Aggressive features such as bone destruction may be seen.
CECT: tumors tend to enhance in varying degrees.
Reported signal characteristics include 4
- T1: tend to be isointense to muscle
- T2: iso- to hyperintense on T2-weighted images in five patients
- T1 (C+) Gd: tend to have heterogeneous enhancement
Treatment and prognosis
The prognosis for patients with SNUC is considered poor. Most centers may opt for varying degrees of craniofacial resection combined with adjuvant radiotherapy +/- chemotherapy.
On imaging, it is almost impossible to differentiate from other tumors in this region with the possible exception of sinonasal mucosal melanoma 4.
- 1. Pitman KT, Costantino PD, Lassen LF. Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma: current trends in treatment. Skull Base Surg. 2011;5 (4): 269-72. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. Righi PD, Francis F, Aron BS et-al. Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma: a 10-year experience. Am J Otolaryngol. 1996;17 (3): 167-71. Pubmed citation
- 3. Gorelick J, Ross D, Marentette L et-al. Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma: case series and review of the literature. Neurosurgery. 2001;47 (3): 750-4. Pubmed citation
- 4. Phillips CD, Futterer SF, Lipper MH et-al. Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma: CT and MR imaging of an uncommon neoplasm of the nasal cavity. Radiology. 1997;202 (2): 477-80. doi:10.1148/radiology.202.2.9015077 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Mendenhall WM, Mendenhall CM, Riggs CE et-al. Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma. Am. J. Clin. Oncol. 2006;29 (1): 27-31. doi:10.1097/01.coc.0000189691.04140.02 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Tanzler ED, Morris CG, Orlando CA et-al. Management of sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma. Head Neck. 2008;30 (5): 595-9. doi:10.1002/hed.20748 - Pubmed citation