Solitary pulmonary nodule (SPN) is defined as a relatively well defined round or oval pulmonary parenchymal lesion equal or smaller than 30 mm in diameter. It is surrounded by pulmonary parenchyma and/or visceral pleura and is not associated with lymphadenopathy, atelectasis, or pneumonia 9.
Questions to ask when you want to approach a solitary pulmonary nodule :
- is the lesion solitary?
- is it intrapulmonary?
- is the lesion a nodule?
- should be a discrete round oval opacity 4-30 mm in diameter; a lesion >30mm is defined as a mass, not a nodule
- should not be linear or angular
There are many causes of solitary pulmonary nodules, including:
- nipple shadow
- cutaneous lesion (e.g. wart, mole)
- rib fracture or other bone lesion
- vanishing pseudotumour of congestive heart failure
- summation of markings
- 1. Collins J, Stern EJ. Chest radiology, the essentials. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2007) ISBN:0781763142. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 2. Stamatelopoulos A, Kadjianis F. Patient management with a solitary pulmonary nodule. J BUON. 13 (4): 479-85. - Pubmed citation
- 3. Erasmus JJ, Connolly JE, Mcadams HP et-al. Solitary pulmonary nodules: Part I. Morphologic evaluation for differentiation of benign and malignant lesions. Radiographics. 20 (1): 43-58. Radiographics (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Erasmus JJ, Mcadams HP, Connolly JE. Solitary pulmonary nodules: Part II. Evaluation of the indeterminate nodule. Radiographics. 20 (1): 59-66. Radiographics (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Jain P, Kathawalla SA, Arroliga AC. Managing solitary pulmonary nodules. Cleve Clin J Med. 1998;65 (6): 315-26. - Pubmed citation
- 6. Quint LE, Park CH, Iannettoni MD. Solitary pulmonary nodules in patients with extrapulmonary neoplasms. Radiology. 2000;217 (1): 257-61. Radiology (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 7. Takashima S, Sone S, Li F et-al. Small solitary pulmonary nodules (< or =1 cm) detected at population-based CT screening for lung cancer: Reliable high-resolution CT features of benign lesions. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2003;180 (4): 955-64. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 8. Kono R, Fujimoto K, Terasaki H et-al. Dynamic MRI of solitary pulmonary nodules: comparison of enhancement patterns of malignant and benign small peripheral lung lesions. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007;188 (1): 26-36. doi:10.2214/AJR.05.1446 - Pubmed citation
- 9. Winer-Muram HT. The solitary pulmonary nodule. Radiology. 2006;239 (1): 34-49. doi:10.1148/radiol.2391050343 - Pubmed citation