Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
Somatostatinomas are a rare type of neuroendocrine tumor.
They form up to ~1% of all gastroenteropancreatic endocrine neoplasms.
The presentation can be variable. Patients with functional somatostatinoma may present with an "inhibitory syndrome" which is a triad of mild diabetes mellitus, cholelithiasis, and diarrhea/steatorrhea. Other lesions can present with obstructive pancreatitis.
They may be functional (i.e. patients have high fasting somatostatin levels) or non-functional. Functional somatostatinomas can release excessive amounts of somatostatin 2.
As they share the radiographic features of other pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors, please refer to this parenting article for a detailed discussion regarding these features.
Treatment and prognosis
Most somatostatinomas are malignant and are often associated with regional and/or portal metastases at the time of diagnosis 7.
- 1. Tjon A Tham RT, Jansen JB, Falke TH et-al. Imaging features of somatostatinoma: MR, CT, US, and angiography. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1994;18 (3): 427-31. Pubmed citation
- 2. Nesi G, Marcucci T, Rubio CA et-al. Somatostatinoma: clinico-pathological features of three cases and literature reviewed. J. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2008;23 (4): 521-6. doi:10.1111/j.1440-1746.2007.05053.x - Pubmed citation
- 3. Soga J, Yakuwa Y. Somatostatinoma/inhibitory syndrome: a statistical evaluation of 173 reported cases as compared to other pancreatic endocrinomas. J. Exp. Clin. Cancer Res. 1999;18 (1): 13-22. Pubmed citation
- 4. Garbrecht N, Anlauf M, Schmitt A et-al. Somatostatin-producing neuroendocrine tumors of the duodenum and pancreas: incidence, types, biological behavior, association with inherited syndromes, and functional activity. Endocr. Relat. Cancer. 2008;15 (1): 229-41. doi:10.1677/ERC-07-0157 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Roberts L, Dunnick NR, Foster WL et-al. Somatostatinoma of the endocrine pancreas: CT findings. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1984;8 (5): 1015-8. Pubmed citation
- 6. Yu RS, Chen Y, Wang LH et-al. A large functional somatostatinoma in the pancreatic tail: atypical CT appearances. Turk J Gastroenterol. 2010;20 (4): 291-4. Pubmed citation
- 7. House MG, Yeo CJ, Schulick RD. Periampullary pancreatic somatostatinoma. Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2003;9 (9): 869-74. Pubmed citation
- 8. Skucas J. Advanced Imaging of the Abdomen. Springer. ISBN:1852339926. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 9. Tanaka S, Yamasaki S, Matsushita H et-al. Duodenal somatostatinoma: a case report and review of 31 cases with special reference to the relationship between tumor size and metastasis. Pathol. Int. 2000;50 (2): 146-52. Pubmed citation