Spinoglenoid notch ganglion cyst
They are generally rare and may be slightly commoner in males 2.
They may result in compression of the suprascapular nerve at the spinoglenoid notch. Other described features include infraspinatus atrophy, weakness with external rotation and posterior shoulder tenderness 4.
Typically seen as a variably sized cystic lesion at the size of the spinoglenoid notch. Signal characteristics are similar to other ganglion cysts and include:
- T1: low signal
- T2: high signal
MRI may also show associated infraspinatus atrophy.
Treatment and prognosis
Treatment options range from conservative management to aspiration of the cysts and excision 4. Most cysts are thought to resolve with treatment 6.
Imaging differential considerations include:
- 1. Yanny S, Toms AP. MR patterns of denervation around the shoulder. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010;195 (2): W157-63. doi:10.2214/AJR.09.4127 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Killeen RP, Browne RF, Torreggiani WC et-al. Radiology for the surgeon: musculoskeletal case 39. Can J Surg. 2007;50 (3): 219-20. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. Linda DD, Harish S, Stewart BG et-al. Multimodality imaging of peripheral neuropathies of the upper limb and brachial plexus. Radiographics. 2010;30 (5): 1373-400. doi:10.1148/rg.305095169 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Piatt BE, Hawkins RJ, Fritz RC et-al. Clinical evaluation and treatment of spinoglenoid notch ganglion cysts. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2002;11 (6): 600-4. doi:10.1067/mse.2002.127094 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Westerheide KJ, Karzel RP. Ganglion cysts of the shoulder: technique of arthroscopic decompression and fixation of associated type II superior labral anterior to posterior lesions. Orthop. Clin. North Am. 2004;34 (4): 521-8. Pubmed citation
- 6. Schroder CP, Skare O, Stiris M et-al. Treatment of labral tears with associated spinoglenoid cysts without cyst decompression. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90 (3): 523-30. doi:10.2106/JBJS.F.01534 - Pubmed citation
- 7. Kim DS, Park HK, Park JH et-al. Ganglion cyst of the spinoglenoid notch: comparison between SLAP repair alone and SLAP repair with cyst decompression. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2012;21 (11): 1456-63. doi:10.1016/j.jse.2012.01.013 - Pubmed citation