Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Francis Deng had no recorded disclosures.View Francis Deng's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Francis Deng had no recorded disclosures.View Francis Deng's current disclosures
The submasseteric space, also known as the masseteric space, is the inferolateral subcompartment of the masticator space located between the mandible and masseter muscle.
Relations and/or Boundaries
The submasseteric space has the following boundaries 1:
- medially: mandible (ramus)
- laterally: masseter muscle
- superiorly: level of the zygomatic arch
- anteriorly: anterior fascial limit of the masseter muscle
- posteriorly: parotid gland
Infection may spread to this space from a mandibular molar or mandibular body and ramus fracture.
- 1. Gaddipati R. (2021) Fascial Space Infections. In: Bonanthaya K., Panneerselvam E., Manuel S., Kumar V.V., Rai A. (eds) Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery for the Clinician. Springer, Singapore. doi:10.1007/978-981-15-1346-6_21 ISBN: 9789811513466