Citation, DOI and article data
The suprasellar cistern is located above the sella turcica, under the hypothalamus and between the uncus of the temporal lobes. It has roughly the shape of a pentagon at the level of the optic chiasma, and of a six-point star at the level of cerebral peduncles.
It is continuous posteriorly with the interpeduncular cistern.
- common location for blood to collect in subarachnoid hemorrhage
- may be obliterated in cases of raised intracranial pressure
- suprasellar cistern lipoma
- 1. Dahya V, Andronikou S. The paediatric suprasellar cistern as an important CT review area. South African Journal of Radiology. 9 (1): 16. doi:10.4102/sajr.v9i1.91
- 2. Butler P, Mitchell A, Healy JC. Applied Radiological Anatomy. Cambridge University Press. (2012) ISBN:0521766664. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon