Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Francis Deng had no recorded disclosures.View Francis Deng's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Daniel J Bell had no recorded disclosures.View Daniel J Bell's current disclosures
Surfer's myelopathy is a rare, non-traumatic spinal cord injury occurring in novice surfers in whom prolonged hyperextension of the back causes infarction of the artery of Adamkiewicz.
On this page:
These patients are almost always novice surfers 1,2. However, cases of a similar syndrome have been reported with other activities involving back hyperextension, such as gymnastics 3. Thus, some authors have proposed the broader term acute hyperextension myelopathy 3.
Patients present with acute low back pain, followed shortly by bilateral leg numbness and paralysis 1,2.
The disorder is a vascular ischemic myelopathy.
Spinal MRI shows a longitudinally extensive, thin, central T2 hyperintense signal abnormality in the spinal cord from the midthoracic region to the conus 4. There is associated diffusion restriction and cord expansion in the acute stage 4,5.
- 1. Freedman B, Malone D, Rasmussen P, Cage J, Benzel E. Surfer's Myelopathy: A Rare Form of Spinal Cord Infarction in Novice Surfers: A Systematic Review. Neurosurgery. 2016;78(5):602-11. doi:10.1227/NEU.0000000000001089 - Pubmed
- 2. Chang C, Donovan D, Liem L et al. Surfers' Myelopathy: A Case Series of 19 Novice Surfers with Nontraumatic Myelopathy. Neurology. 2012;79(22):2171-6. doi:10.1212/WNL.0b013e31827595cd - Pubmed
- 3. Albuja A, Qaiser S, Lightner D et al. Surfer's Myelopathy Without Surfing: A Report of Two Pediatric Patients. Spinal Cord Ser Cases. 2017;3(1):17008. doi:10.1038/scsandc.2017.8 - Pubmed
- 4. Nakamoto B, Siu A, Hashiba K et al. Surfer's Myelopathy: A Radiologic Study of 23 Cases. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2013;34(12):2393-8. doi:10.3174/ajnr.A3599 - Pubmed
- 5. Lieske J, Cameron B, Drinkwine B et al. Surfer's Myelopathy-Demonstrated by Diffusion-Weighted Magnetic Resonance Imaging: A Case Report and Literature Review. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2011;35(4):492-4. doi:10.1097/RCT.0b013e31821e277b - Pubmed