Citation, DOI and article data
Tardus parvus refers to a pattern of Doppler ultrasound spectral waveform resulting from arterial stenosis. The phenomenon is observed downstream to the site of stenosis, and is due to reduced magnitude of blood flow through the narrowed vessel during ventricular systole 7.
This characteristic pattern is useful in assessing for renal artery stenosis. The pattern can also be seen distal to other sites of arterial stenosis (e.g. hepatic arterial stenosis), as well as within collateral vessels following an arterial occlusion 7.
- tardus: prolonged systolic acceleration (i.e. slow upstroke)
- parvus: small systolic amplitude and rounding of systolic peak
- 1. Brant WE, Helms CA. Fundamentals of Diagnostic Radiology. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2007) ISBN:0781761352. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 2. Ecotière L, Thierry A, Debiais-Delpech C et-al. Nephrol. Dial. Transplant. 2000;15 (4): . doi:10.1093/ndt/gfw056 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Lee KH, Park JW, Lee HJ, Nam KY, Park TJ, Kim HJ, Kwon BS. Efficacy of Intensive Neurodevelopmental Treatment for Children With Developmental Delay, With or Without Cerebral Palsy. Annals of rehabilitation medicine. 41 (1): 90-96. doi:10.5535/arm.2017.41.1.90 - Pubmed
- 4. Kotval PS. Doppler waveform parvus and tardus. A sign of proximal flow obstruction. Journal of ultrasound in medicine : official journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. 8 (8): 435-40. Pubmed
- 5. Bude RO, Rubin JM, Platt JF, Fechner KP, Adler RS. Pulsus tardus: its cause and potential limitations in detection of arterial stenosis. Radiology. 190 (3): 779-84. doi:10.1148/radiology.190.3.8115627 - Pubmed
- 6. Li JC, Yuan Y, Qin W, Wang L, Dai Q, Qi ZH, Meng H, Cai S, Jiang YX. Evaluation of the tardus-parvus pattern in patients with atherosclerotic and nonatherosclerotic renal artery stenosis. Journal of ultrasound in medicine : official journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. 26 (4): 419-26. Pubmed
- 7. William D. Middleton, Alfred B. Kurtz, Barbara S. Hertzberg. Ultrasound. (2004) ISBN: 9780323017022