Thyroid inflammatory conditions
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Raymond Chieng had no financial relationships to ineligible companies to disclose.View Raymond Chieng's current disclosures
A number of inflammatory conditions can affect the thyroid gland, each commonly described as thyroiditis (plural: thyroiditides).
Clinical presentation of thyroiditis can be roughly divided into acute, subacute, and chronic, however there is significant overlap in between them 5.
Both acute and subacute thyroiditis can present with painful neck swelling associated with fever and deranged thyroid function tests 5.
In subacute thyroiditis, a patient may initially have hyperthyroidism, followed by a period of hypothyroidism and then resolved as euthyroidism. However, these features are not found in every patient with subacute thyroiditis 5.
radiation induced thyroiditis 5
traumatic thyroiditis 5
granulomatous: de Quervain thyroiditis: subacute granulomatous thyroiditis 1
subacute non-suppurative thyroiditis
giant cell thyroiditis 5
thyroid manifestations of generalized disease
drug induced 5
silent: subacute lymphocytic thyroiditis: painless thyroiditis
postpartum thyroiditis: is a subtype of silent thyroiditis
Hashimoto thyroiditis: lymphocytic thyroiditis
fibrosing thyroiditis: Riedel thyroiditis 5
- 1. Jhaveri K, Shroff MM, Fatterpekar GM et-al. CT and MR imaging findings associated with subacute thyroiditis. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2003;24 (1): 143-6. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Langer JE, Khan A, Nisenbaum HL et-al. Sonographic appearance of focal thyroiditis. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001;176 (3): 751-4. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Hatabu H, Kasagi K, Yamamoto K et-al. Acute suppurative thyroiditis associated with piriform sinus fistula: sonographic findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1990;155 (4): 845-7. AJR Am J Roentgenol (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Intenzo CM, Capuzzi DM, Jabbour S et-al. Scintigraphic features of autoimmune thyroiditis. Radiographics. 2001;21 (4): 957-64. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Rothacker K & Walsh J. Acute and Subacute Thyroiditis. Endocrinology. 2016;:1-21. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-29195-6_9-1