Thyroseq® is an expanded gene classifier test designed for further evaluation of indeterminate thyroid nodules on fine needle aspiration (FNA). In particular, it is designed to further evaluate nodules that show atypia of undetermined significance / follicular lesion of undetermined significance (AUS/FLUS) on cytology. It can also be used to risk-stratify nodules that show follicular neoplasm cytology 2.
The test is a multi-gene next generation assay that evaluates for multiple mutations in thyroid cancer. Early results suggest that it offers increased sensitivity and specificity over standard gene expression classifier / AFIRMA testing for detection of cancer in these indeterminate nodules. The most recent iteration of the test is version 3. It uses DNA, mRNA, and miRNA markers for evaluation.
- 1. Nikiforov YE, Carty SE, Chiosea SI, Coyne C, Duvvuri U, Ferris RL, Gooding WE, LeBeau SO, Ohori NP, Seethala RR, Tublin ME, Yip L, Nikiforova MN. Impact of the Multi-Gene ThyroSeq Next-Generation Sequencing Assay on Cancer Diagnosis in Thyroid Nodules with Atypia of Undetermined Significance/Follicular Lesion of Undetermined Significance Cytology. Thyroid : official journal of the American Thyroid Association. 25 (11): 1217-23. doi:10.1089/thy.2015.0305 - Pubmed
- 2. Nikiforov YE, Carty SE, Chiosea SI, Coyne C, Duvvuri U, Ferris RL, Gooding WE, Hodak SP, LeBeau SO, Ohori NP, Seethala RR, Tublin ME, Yip L, Nikiforova MN. Highly accurate diagnosis of cancer in thyroid nodules with follicular neoplasm/suspicious for a follicular neoplasm cytology by ThyroSeq v2 next-generation sequencing assay. Cancer. 120 (23): 3627-34. doi:10.1002/cncr.29038 - Pubmed
- 3. Nikiforova MN, Wald AI, Roy S, Durso MB, Nikiforov YE. Targeted next-generation sequencing panel (ThyroSeq) for detection of mutations in thyroid cancer. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 98 (11): E1852-60. doi:10.1210/jc.2013-2292 - Pubmed
Related Radiopaedia articles
- thyroid gland
spinal interventional procedures (general)
- epidural blood patch
- facet joint injection
- fluoroscopy-guided lumbar puncture
- sacroiliac joint injection
- spinal epidural injection
- transforaminal nerve root injection
- spinal interventional procedures (general)