Tietze syndrome refers a benign costochondritis accompanied by hypertrophy of the costal cartilages.
Exact incidence of occurrence is not known. It is seen most commonly between 2nd and 5th decades of life. Female to male ratio is 2:1.
It is characterised as a tender, non-suppurative swelling in the upper costosternal region
Chest wall MRI
MRI features of Tietze's syndrome was characterised according to one study as follows 1
- enlargement and thickening of cartilage at the site of complaint
- focal or widespread increased signal intensities of affected cartilage on both TSE T2-weighted and STIR or FAT SAT images
- bone marrow oedema in the subcondral bone
- vivid gadolinium uptake in the areas of thickened cartilage, in the subcondral bone marrow and/or in capsule and ligaments
Ga-67 imaging often shows increased accumulation 7.
History and etymology
Named in 1921 by Alexander Tietze (1864-1927), German surgeon.
Treatment and prognosis
It is a benign condition. Some authors suggest local steroid injection as possible treatment option 6.
- 1. Volterrani L, Mazzei MA, Giordano N et-al. Magnetic resonance imaging in Tietze's syndrome. Clin. Exp. Rheumatol. 2009;26 (5): 848-53. Pubmed citation
- 2. Martino F, D'Amore M, Angelelli G et-al. Echographic study of Tietze's syndrome. Clin. Rheumatol. 1991;10 (1): 2-4. Pubmed citation
- 3. Aeschlimann A, Kahn MF. Tietze's syndrome: a critical review. Clin. Exp. Rheumatol. 1990;8 (4): 407-12. Pubmed citation
- 4. Kamel M, Kotob H. Ultrasonographic assessment of local steroid injection in Tietze's syndrome. Br. J. Rheumatol. 1997;36 (5): 547-50. Pubmed citation
- 5. Jurik AG, Justesen T, Graudal H. Radiographic findings in patients with clinical Tietze syndrome. Skeletal Radiol. 1988;16 (7): 517-23. Pubmed citation
- 6. Kamel M, Kotob H. Ultrasonographic assessment of local steroid injection in Tietze's syndrome. Br. J. Rheumatol. 1997;36 (5): 547-50. Pubmed citation
- 7. Honda N, Machida K, Mamiya T et-al. Scintigraphic and CT findings of Tietze's syndrome: report of a case and review of the literature. Clin Nucl Med. 1989;14 (8): 606-9. Pubmed citation
- 8. Aeschlimann A, Kahn MF. Tietze's syndrome: a critical review. Clin. Exp. Rheumatol. 1990;8 (4): 407-12. Pubmed citation