Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Sarah Gorton had no recorded disclosures.View Sarah Gorton's current disclosures
The toes series is comprised of an AP, AP oblique, and a lateral projection. The series is often utilized in trauma situations. It examines the entirety of the proximal middle and distal phalanges of the foot.
Toe radiographs are performed for a variety of indications including 1:
- AP: demonstrates the toe(s) of interest in the dorsal-plantar/AP plane
- AP oblique: toes of interest are projected 30 degrees to the AP projection
- lateral: orthogonal view of the AP projection often used to determine dislocation directed and fracture displacement.
- sesamoid view: tangential projection of the toes can sometimes be performed to demonstrate sesamoid bone
- 1. Van Vliet-Koppert ST, Cakir H, Van Lieshout EM et-al. Demographics and functional outcome of toe fractures. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2011;50 (3): 307-10. doi:10.1053/j.jfas.2011.02.003 - Pubmed citation
- 2. RT(R) KLBMA, (CT) JLMR. Textbook of Radiographic Positioning and Related Anatomy, 8e. Mosby. ISBN:0323083889. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon