Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was last revised Antonio Rodrigues de Aguiar Neto had no financial relationships to ineligible companies to disclose.View Antonio Rodrigues de Aguiar Neto's current disclosures
A traumatic pneumatocoele refers to a type of pneumatocoele which occurs secondary to a traumatic event (often blunt trauma).
There can be some overlap with the term "air containing pulmonary laceration". It characterized by single or multiple pulmonary cystic lesions usually accompanied by other types of injuries involving the lung parenchyma.
They may not usually be seen until a few hours or even several days following after trauma, initially obscured by surrounding contusion. Their size, shape, thickness of the wall, and number of pneumatoceles can vary widely from patient to patient.
They tend to occur in children and young adults, mostly due to the flexibility and compliance of their thoracic wall
It is defined as a thin walled, air filed cavity of the lung, which does not have epithelial lining or bronchial wall elements, and is therefore often referred to as a pseudocyst (traumatic pulmonary pseudo cyst).
History and etymology
In 1940, Fallon described for the first time a traumatic pulmonary pseudocyst 6.
- 1. Galea M, Williams N, Mayell M. Traumatic Pneumatocele. J Pediatr Surg. 1992;27(12):1523-4. doi:10.1016/0022-3468(92)90492-p - Pubmed
- 2. Yang T, Huang C, Yu J, Hsieh F, Huang Y. Traumatic Pneumatocele. Pediatr Neonatol. 2010;51(2):135-8. doi:10.1016/S1875-9572(10)60024-1 - Pubmed
- 3. Fagan C & Swischuk L. Traumatic Lung and Paramediastinal Pneumatoceles. Radiology. 1976;120(1):11-8. doi:10.1148/120.1.11 - Pubmed
- 4. Cheung N, James A, Kumar R. Large Traumatic Pneumatocele in a 2-Year-Old Child. Case Rep Pediatr. 2013;2013:940189. doi:10.1155/2013/940189 - Pubmed
- 5. Kaira K, Ishizuka T, Yanagitani N, Sunaga N, Hisada T, Mori M. Pulmonary Traumatic Pneumatocele and Hematoma. Jpn J Radiol. 2009;27(2):100-2. doi:10.1007/s11604-008-0296-x - Pubmed
- 6. Phillips B, Shaw J, Turco L et al. Traumatic Pulmonary Pseudocyst: An Underreported Entity. Injury. 2017;48(2):214-20. doi:10.1016/j.injury.2016.12.006 - Pubmed