Triangular fibrocartilage complex

Dr Ayush Goel and Dr Henry Knipe et al.

The triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC) is a complex structure that is a major contributor to the stability of the wrist

The TFCC is located on the ulnar aspect of the wrist joint between the ulna and the lunate and triquetrum of the proximal carpal row. It has an elongated triangular shape with the apex pointing at the radius 5 and consists of the triangular disc proper along with 1, 2:

  • central and radial portions of the TFCC are avascular

The shape of the TFCC varies with negative and positive ulnar variance 4:

Function of the TFCC 3:

  • main stabiliser of distal radioulnar joint (DRUJ)
  • buttress to support proximal carpal row
  • allowing for transmission of portion of axial load from the carpus to the ulna (approximately 20% of the force with the remaining 80% through radiocarpal joint)
Upper limb anatomy
Share article

Article information

rID: 24686
Section: Anatomy
Tags: refs, cases, wrist
Synonyms or Alternate Spellings:
  • TFCC
  • Triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC)

Support Radiopaedia and see fewer ads

Cases and figures

  • Drag
    Figure 1: ulnomeniscal homologue
    Drag here to reorder.
  • Drag
    Figure 2: axial anatomy diagram
    Drag here to reorder.
  • Updating… Please wait.
    Loadinganimation

    Alert accept

    Error Unable to process the form. Check for errors and try again.

    Alert accept Thank you for updating your details.