Ulnar collateral ligament of the wrist
The ulnar collateral ligament of the wrist is an extrinsic dorsal ulnocarpal ligament and functions as a part of the triangular fibrocartilage complex as an ulnar stabilizer of the wrist 1-3.
The ulnar collateral ligament connects the ulnar styloid al process with the triquetrum in a longitudinal orientation deep to the extensor carpi ulnaris tendon and superficial to the ulnomeniscal homologue forming the most ulnar part of the joint capsule 1-2. It is a component of the triangular fibrocartilage complex. It blends with the extensor carpi ulnaris tendon sheath.
The proximal insertion or origin of the ulnar collateral ligament is the ulnar styloid tip 1.
Distal insertions are the proximal ulnar surface of the triquetral bone 1.
The ulnar collateral ligament can be visualized on ultrasound with the transducer placed over the ulnar styloid process at the ulnar aspect of the radial deviated pronated wrist in the longitudinal plane. The long axis of the ligament is displayed as a slightly echogenic, somewhat fibrillary structure attaching the ulnar styloid process radius to the triquetrum. It is found deep to the overlying extensor carpi ulnaris tendon 2-5.
The ulnar collateral ligament can be seen on MRI. It can be best appreciated on coronal high resolution or 3D images adjacent to the ulnomeniscal homologue and the extensor ulnaris tendon and has a hypointense appearance 5.
- 1. Mayfield JK, Johnson RP, Kilcoyne RF. The ligaments of the human wrist and their functional significance. (1976) The Anatomical record. 186 (3): 417-28. doi:10.1002/ar.1091860307 - Pubmed
- 2. Türker T, Sheppard JE, Klauser AS, Johnston SS, Amerongen H, Taljanovic MS. The radial and ulnar collateral ligaments of the wrist are true ligaments. (2019) Diagnostic and interventional radiology (Ankara, Turkey). 25 (6): 473-479. doi:10.5152/dir.2019.19036 - Pubmed
- 3. Gitto S, Draghi F. Normal Sonographic Anatomy of the Wrist With Emphasis on Assessment of Tendons, Nerves, and Ligaments. (2016) Journal of ultrasound in medicine : official journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. 35 (5): 1081-94. doi:10.7863/ultra.15.06105 - Pubmed
- 4. Taljanovic MS, Goldberg MR, Sheppard JE, Rogers LF. US of the intrinsic and extrinsic wrist ligaments and triangular fibrocartilage complex--normal anatomy and imaging technique. (2011) Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 31 (1): e44. doi:10.1148/rg.e44 - Pubmed
- 5. Wu WT, Chang KV, Mezian K, Naňka O, Yang YC, Hsu YC, Hsu PC, Özçakar L. Ulnar Wrist Pain Revisited: Ultrasound Diagnosis and Guided Injection for Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex Injuries. (2019) Journal of clinical medicine. doi:10.3390/jcm8101540 - Pubmed
- 6. von Borstel D, Wang M, Small K, Nozaki T, Yoshioka H. High-Resolution 3T MR Imaging of the Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex. (2017) Magnetic resonance in medical sciences : MRMS : an official journal of Japan Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 16 (1): 3-15. doi:10.2463/mrms.rev.2016-0011 - Pubmed
- 7. High-resolution MR imaging of the ulnar and radial collateral ligaments of the wrist. ECR 2015 / C-0123 EPOS ECR 2015