Umbilical cord thrombosis is a potentially fatal complication and can mean either a thrombosis of the umbilical vein or either or both the umbilical arteries. Umbilical vein thrombosis occurs more frequently than thrombosis of one or both umbilical arteries (umbilical arterial thrombosis)
The estimated incidence is approximately 1 in 1300 deliveries, 1 in 1000 perinatal autopsies, and 1 in 250 high-risk gestations. There is a slight male predominance 1.
Grey scale imaging may show focal areas or the entire cord being increased in echogenicity. Colour Doppler will confirm an absence of flow.
A poorer fetal outcome is more likely with arterial thrombosis 1. The strong association between cord thrombosis and perinatal morbidity and mortality is likely related to additional umbilical cord abnormalities, obstetrical complications, or systemic fetal conditions that are the likely cause of both the thrombosis and the poor fetal outcome.
- 3. Byrd L, Wells S, Mayers F. Umbilical cord thrombosis-a cause of intrauterine demise? J Obstet Gynaecol. 2000;20 (1): 92. doi:10.1080/01443610063642 - Pubmed citation
- 1. Heifetz SA. Thrombosis of the umbilical cord: analysis of 52 cases and literature review. Pediatr Pathol. 1988;8 (1): 37-54. - Pubmed citation
- 2. Keeling JW, Khong TY. Fetal and Neonatal Pathology. Springer Verlag. (2007) ISBN:1846285240. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 4. Wladimiroff JW, Eik-Nes S. Ultrasound in obstetrics and gynaecology. Elsevier Science Health Science div. (2009) ISBN:0444518290. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 5. Merz E, Bahlmann F. Ultrasound in obstetrics and gynecology. Thieme Medical Publishers. (2005) ISBN:1588901475. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 7. Benirschke K. Obstetrically important lesions of the umbilical cord. J Reprod Med. 1994;39 (4): 262-72. - Pubmed citation
- 6. Avagliano L, Marconi AM, Candiani M et-al. Thrombosis of the umbilical vessels revisited. An observational study of 317 consecutive autopsies at a single institution. Hum. Pathol. 2010;41 (7): 971-9. doi:10.1016/j.humpath.2009.07.026 - Pubmed citation