Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Ian Bickle had no recorded disclosures.View Ian Bickle's current disclosures
The urachus (plural: urachuses or urachi 6,7) is the fibrous vestigial remnant of the embryonic allantois.
The lumen of the urachus usually obliterates following birth and becomes known as the median umbilical ligament which is in turn covered by a midline linear fibrous fold of parietal peritoneum (the median umbilical fold) 3. This fold extends from the apex of the bladder to the umbilicus. It is located in the retropubic space.
If the lumen does not completely involute, a spectrum of urachal remnants may persist, including 4:
- 1. Yu JS, Kim KW, Lee HJ, Lee YJ, Yoon CS, Kim MJ. Urachal remnant diseases: spectrum of CT and US findings. (2001) Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 21 (2): 451-61. doi:10.1148/radiographics.21.2.g01mr02451 - Pubmed
- 2. Moore KL, Agur AMR, Dalley AF. Clinically oriented anatomy. LWW. ISBN:1451119453. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 3. Last's anatomy, regional and applied. Churchill Livingstone. ISBN:044304662X. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 4. Parada Villavicencio C, Adam SZ, Nikolaidis P, Yaghmai V, Miller FH. Imaging of the Urachus: Anomalies, Complications, and Mimics. Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 36 (7): 2049-2063. doi:10.1148/rg.2016160062 - Pubmed
- 5. Jandou, I., Ettanji, A., Mohammed, E., Moataz, A., Mohammed, D., Debbagh, A., & Aboutaieb, R. (2021). Mucosal urinary secretion revealing adenocarcinoma of urachus. Annals of Medicine and Surgery, 65, 102335. doi:10.1016/j.amsu.2021.102335
- 6. Liang Cheng, David G. Bostwick. Urologic Surgical Pathology E-Book. (2014) ISBN: 9780323086196
- 7. Yiee, Jenny & Garcia, Nilda & Baker, Linda & Barber, Robert & Snodgrass, Warren & Wilcox, Duncan. (2008). A diagnostic algorithm for urachal anomalies. Journal of pediatric urology. 3. 500-4. 10.1016/j.jpurol.2007.07.010. doi:10.1016/j.jpurol.2007.07.010