Bladder diverticulum are outpouchings from the bladder wall, whereby mucosa herniates through the bladder wall. They may be solitary or multiple in nature and can vary considerably in size.
There are two peaks - one at 10 years and the other at 60-70 years 2.
Diverticulae may be congenital (primary) or acquired (secondary) and a range of causes of urinary bladder diverticula are described.
Acquired diverticula are more common, usually occurring the context of a trabeculated bladder, resulting from chronic bladder outlet obstruction.
Diverticula are often an incidental finding on imaging investigations, including ultrasound, CT, MRI and IVU.
Treatment and prognosis
They may be associated with a range of complications due to stasis and low-grade infection including:
- 1. Berrocal T, López-Pereira P, Arjonilla A et-al. Anomalies of the distal ureter, bladder, and urethra in children: embryologic, radiologic, and pathologic features. Radiographics. 2002;22 (5): 1139-64. doi:10.1148/radiographics.22.5.g02se101139 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Radiology of the Lower Urinary Tract (Medical Radiology). Springer. ISBN:3642844332. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 3. Chopra S. Genitourinary Imaging (Radcase). TNY. ISBN:B005WJJLIG. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 4. Walker NF, Gan C, Olsburgh J et-al. Diagnosis and management of intradiverticular bladder tumours. Nat Rev Urol.11 (7): 383-90. doi:doi:10.1038/nrurol.2014.131 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Melekos MD, Asbach HW, Barbalias GA. Vesical diverticula: etiology, diagnosis, tumorigenesis, and treatment. Analysis of 74 cases. Urology. 30 (5): 453-7. Pubmed
- 6. Matta EJ, Kenney AJ, Barré GM, Vanlangendonck RM. Best cases from the AFIP: intradiverticular bladder carcinoma. Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 25 (5): 1397-403. doi:10.1148/rg.255045205 - Pubmed
- 7. Golijanin D, Yossepowitch O, Beck SD, Sogani P, Dalbagni G. Carcinoma in a bladder diverticulum: presentation and treatment outcome. The Journal of urology. 170 (5): 1761-4. doi:10.1097/01.ju.0000091800.15071.52 - Pubmed