Urinary bladder diverticulum
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Ian Bickle had no recorded disclosures.View Ian Bickle's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Ashesh Ishwarlal Ranchod had no financial relationships to ineligible companies to disclose.View Ashesh Ishwarlal Ranchod's current disclosures
A urinary bladder diverticulum (plural: diverticula) is an outpouching from the bladder wall, whereby mucosa herniates through the bladder wall. It may be solitary or multiple in nature and can vary considerably in size.
There are two peaks; one at 10 years and the other at 60-70 years 2.
Diverticula may be congenital (primary) or acquired (secondary) and a range of causes of urinary bladder diverticula are described.
Acquired diverticula are more common, usually occurring in the context of a trabeculated bladder, resulting from chronic bladder outlet obstruction.
Diverticula are often an incidental finding on imaging investigations, including ultrasound, CT, MRI and IVU.
Treatment and prognosis
They may be associated with a range of complications due to stasis and low-grade infection including:
- 1. Berrocal T, López-Pereira P, Arjonilla A, Gutiérrez J. Anomalies of the Distal Ureter, Bladder, and Urethra in Children: Embryologic, Radiologic, and Pathologic Features. Radiographics. 2002;22(5):1139-64. doi:10.1148/radiographics.22.5.g02se101139 - Pubmed
- 2. Erich Lang. Radiology of the Lower Urinary Tract. (2011) ISBN: 9783642844331 - Google Books
- 3. Shailendra Chopra. Genitourinary Imaging. (2011) ISBN: 9781604063240 - Google Books
- 4. Walker N, Gan C, Olsburgh J, Khan M. Diagnosis and Management of Intradiverticular Bladder Tumours. Nat Rev Urol. 2014;11(7):383-90. doi:10.1038/nrurol.2014.131 - Pubmed
- 5. Melekos M, Asbach H, Barbalias G. Vesical Diverticula: Etiology, Diagnosis, Tumorigenesis, and Treatment. Urology. 1987;30(5):453-7. doi:10.1016/0090-4295(87)90378-5 - Pubmed
- 6. Matta E, Kenney A, Barré G, Vanlangendonck R. Intradiverticular Bladder Carcinoma. Radiographics. 2005;25(5):1397-403. doi:10.1148/rg.255045205 - Pubmed
- 7. Golijanin D, Yossepowitch O, Beck S, Sogani P, Dalbagni G. Carcinoma in a Bladder Diverticulum: Presentation and Treatment Outcome. J Urol. 2003;170(5):1761-4. doi:10.1097/01.ju.0000091800.15071.52 - Pubmed