Uterine artery pseudoaneurysm (UAP) is a rare cause of secondary postpartum haemorrhage.
UAP usually presents as delayed (secondary) postpartum haemorrhage, that is per vaginal bleeding which occurs more than 24 hours and up to 6 weeks postpartum. However, some reported cases have been shown to present more than 6 weeks after delivery.
Pseudoaneurysms are a blood-filled cavity communicating with the lumen of the parent artery due to deficiency of one or more layers of an arterial wall (i.e. it does not have all the three arterial wall layers). In contrast, true aneurysms contain all the three layers of the arterial wall.
Small focus of colour signal on Doppler ultrasound with distinctive "to-and-fro" waveform at the neck of the pseudoaneurysm 5.
Treatment and prognosis
Most of the cases in the English literature have been successfully treated with uterine artery embolisation (UAE). Without early recognition and treatment, UAP can be extremely deleterious.
- 1. Lee WK, Roche CJ, Duddalwar VA et-al. Pseudoaneurysm of the uterine artery after abdominal hysterectomy: radiologic diagnosis and management. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2001;185 (5): 1269-72. doi:10.1067/mob.2001.117974 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Parvin A, Begum M, Huda A. Uterine artery pseudoaneurysm after cesarean section: case report. Pulse. 07;7 (1): 56-60. doi:10.3329/pulse.v7i1.23253
- 3. Isono W, Tsutsumi R, Wada-Hiraike O et-al. Uterine artery pseudoaneurysm after cesarean section: case report and literature review. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2010;17 (6): 687-91. doi:10.1016/j.jmig.2010.06.004 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Takeda A, Koike W, Imoto S et-al. Conservative management of uterine artery pseudoaneurysm after laparoscopic-assisted myomectomy and subsequent pregnancy outcome: case series and review of the literature. Eur. J. Obstet. Gynecol. Reprod. Biol. 2014;182: 146-53. doi:10.1016/j.ejogrb.2014.09.020 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Gupta A, Desai A, Bhatt S. Imaging of the Endometrium: Physiologic Changes and Diseases: Women's Imaging. (2017) Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 37 (7): 2206-2207