Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Jeremy Jones had no recorded disclosures.View Jeremy Jones's current disclosures
It is rare condition with initial uterine involvement occurring in only 1% of patients with lymphoma 3. However, uterine involvement is more common as part of a generalized process, as shown in 40-50% of these patients at autopsy.
Uterine lymphoma usually occurs as secondary involvement of the uterus with established extra uterine involvement elsewhere. Primary uterine involvement is much rarer.
In general imaging features of lymphoma involving the uterus are considered non-specific although some features may suggest towards the diagnosis.
Reported characteristic MR imaging findings include:
- diffuse enlargement of the uterus may be present 4
- homogeneous intermediate signal intensity of an indistinct mass on T1- and T2-weighted images 1
- T1: involved regions slightly hypointense to rest of uterus 5
- T2: involved regions slightly hyperintense to rest of uterus 5
- normally there is preservation of the endometrial lining (with an intact junctional zone 4) and uterine architecture 1,8 although some studies report disruption of zonal architecture 7
- 1. Cheong IJ, Kim SH, Park CM. Primary uterine lymphoma: a case report. Korean J Radiol. 1 (4): 223-5. Korean J Radiol (link) - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. Fox H, More JR. Primary malignant lymphoma of the uterus. J. Clin. Pathol. 1965;18 (6): 723-8. J. Clin. Pathol. (link) - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. Rha SE, Byun JY, Jung SE et-al. CT and MRI of uterine sarcomas and their mimickers. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2003;181 (5): 1369-74. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Kim YS, Koh BH, Cho OK et-al. MR imaging of primary uterine lymphoma. Abdom Imaging. 22 (4): 441-4. Abdom Imaging (link) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Kawakami S, Togashi K, Kojima N et-al. MR appearance of malignant lymphoma of the uterus. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 19 (2): 238-42. - Pubmed citation
- 6. Suzuki Y, Tamaki Y, Hasegawa M et-al. Magnetic resonance images of primary malignant lymphoma of the uterine body: a case report. Jpn. J. Clin. Oncol. 2000;30 (11): 519-21. Jpn. J. Clin. Oncol. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 7. Goto N, Oishi-tanaka Y, Tsunoda H et-al. Magnetic resonance findings of primary uterine malignant lymphoma. Magn Reson Med Sci. 2007;6 (1): 7-13. Magn Reson Med Sci (link) - Pubmed citation
- 8. Lang EK, Ascher S. Radiology of the female pelvic organs. Springer Verlag. (1998) ISBN:3540611193. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon