They are composed of smooth muscle and connective tissue along with splanchnic nerve fibers.
- anterior: lateral aspect of cervix and upper vaginal wall, torus uterinus
- posterior: presacral soft tissues between S2 and S4, including coccygeus muscle, sacrospinous ligament, ischial spine, and presacral fascia 2
Can be detected on CT as soft tissue density bands and on MRI as low T1 and T2 signal bands between the cervix and sacrum.
- pelvic organ prolapse
- 1. Wolter kluwer. Grant's Atlas of Anatomy, 14th Ed. (2017) ISBN: 9781469890685
- 2. Malwina Kaniewska, Piotr Gołofit, Martin Heubner, Caroline Maake, Rahel A. Kubik-Huch. Suspensory Ligaments of the Female Genital Organs: MRI Evaluation with Intraoperative Correlation. (2018) RadioGraphics. 38 (7): 2195-2211. doi:10.1148/rg.2018180089 - Pubmed
- 3. Antônio Coutinho, Jr, Leonardo Kayat Bittencourt, Cíntia E. Pires, Flávia Junqueira, Cláudio Márcio Amaral de Oliveira Lima, Elisa Coutinho, Marisa A. Domingues, Romeu C. Domingues, Edson Marchiori. MR Imaging in Deep Pelvic Endometriosis: A Pictorial Essay. (2011) RadioGraphics. 31 (2): 549-67. doi:10.1148/rg.312105144 - Pubmed