Visceral pleural invasion
Citation, DOI & article data
Visceral pleural invasion is a feature that can be seen in lung cancers. It is defined as tumor extension beyond the elastic layer of the visceral pleura, and in some cases may result in a cancer crossing a fissure to invade an adjacent lobe of the lung. It is considered an aggressive sign and one of the most important adverse prognostic factors in non-small cell lung cancers 1.
There are three described levels of invasion (based on histology):
- PL0: represents tumor invading either the subpleural lung parenchyma or superficially the pleural connective tissue beneath the elastic layer
- PL1: refers to a tumor that invades beyond the elastic layer without being exposed on the pleural surface
- PL2: refers to a tumor that is exposed on the pleural surface, but it does not involve adjacent anatomic structures
The presence of type 2 pleural tags has been shown to have a moderate association with visceral pleural invasion 7.
Treatment and prognosis
According to one study, there was ~20% (range 10-30%) worse 5-year survival in tumors with visceral pleural invasion compared to those without visceral pleural invasion.
- 1. Zhao LL, Xie HK, Zhang LP, Zha JY, Zhou FY, Jiang GN, Chen C. Visceral pleural invasion in lung adenocarcinoma ≤3 cm with ground-glass opacity: a clinical, pathological and radiological study. Journal of thoracic disease. 8 (7): 1788-97. doi:10.21037/jtd.2016.05.90 - Pubmed
- 2. Hattori A, Suzuki K, Matsunaga T, Takamochi K, Oh S. Visceral pleural invasion is not a significant prognostic factor in patients with a part-solid lung cancer. The Annals of thoracic surgery. 98 (2): 433-8. doi:10.1016/j.athoracsur.2014.04.084 - Pubmed
- 3. Huang H, Wang T, Hu B, Pan C. Visceral pleural invasion remains a size-independent prognostic factor in stage I non-small cell lung cancer. The Annals of thoracic surgery. 99 (4): 1130-9. doi:10.1016/j.athoracsur.2014.11.052 - Pubmed
- 4. Manac'h D, Riquet M, Medioni J, Le Pimpec-Barthes F, Dujon A, Danel C. Visceral pleura invasion by non-small cell lung cancer: an underrated bad prognostic factor. The Annals of thoracic surgery. 71 (4): 1088-93. Pubmed
- 5. Kang JH, Kim KD, Chung KY. Prognostic value of visceral pleura invasion in non-small cell lung cancer. European journal of cardio-thoracic surgery : official journal of the European Association for Cardio-thoracic Surgery. 23 (6): 865-9. Pubmed
- 6 . Imai K, Minamiya Y, Ishiyama K, Hashimoto M, Saito H, Motoyama S, Sato Y, Ogawa J. Use of CT to evaluate pleural invasion in non-small cell lung cancer: measurement of the ratio of the interface between tumor and neighboring structures to maximum tumor diameter. Radiology. 267 (2): 619-26. doi:10.1148/radiol.12120864 - Pubmed
- 7. Hsu JS, Han IT, Tsai TH, Lin SF, Jaw TS, Liu GC, Chou SH, Chong IW, Chen CY. Pleural Tags on CT Scans to Predict Visceral Pleural Invasion of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer That Does Not Abut the Pleura. Radiology. 279 (2): 590-6. doi:10.1148/radiol.2015151120 - Pubmed