Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Henry Knipe had no recorded disclosures.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Daniel J Bell had no recorded disclosures.View Daniel J Bell's current disclosures
The vomer is one of the unpaired facial bones and forms the posteroinferior part of the bony nasal septum, lying in the midline between the two nasal cavities.
It is a thin flat bone that is trapezoidal in shape with two surfaces that are obliquely grooved by the sphenopalatine (nasopalatine) vessels and nerves.
The vomer has four borders:
- superior: thickest border with laterally projecting alae which articulate with the rostrum of the sphenoid bone body. The alae also articulate with the:
- sphenoidal conchae of the body of sphenoid (anterior surface)
- vaginal processes of the body of sphenoid (inferior surface)
- sphenoidal processes of the palatine bones
- inferior: articulates with the median nasal crest of the maxilla and palatine bones, between the incisive canals
- anterior: longest border which articulates with:
- the perpendicular plate of the ethmoid bone along its upper half
- the nasal septal cartilage along its lower half
- posterior: short concave border which is thicker (and bifid) superiorly and which does not articulate with any bone, but rather separates the two choanae
The vomerovaginal canal is formed between the ala, body of the sphenoid and the small medially directed vaginal process arising from the sphenoid bone.
Occasionally the sphenoid sinus may extend into and pneumatize the vomer 2.
- 1. James N. Palmer, Alexander G. Chiu. Atlas of Endoscopic Sinus and Skull Base Surgery. (2013) ISBN: 9780323044080 - Google Books
- 2. Christopher C. Chang, Gary A. Incaudo, M. Eric Gershwin. Diseases of the Sinuses. (2014) ISBN: 9781493902644 - Google Books
- 3. Johannes Lang. Clinical Anatomy of the Nose, Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinuses. (1989) ISBN: 9783137384014 - Google Books
- 4. Keith L. Moore, Arthur F. Dalley, A. M. R. Agur. Clinically Oriented Anatomy. (2013) ISBN: 9781451119459 - Google Books
- 5. Susan Standring. Gray's Anatomy. (2015) ISBN: 9780702052309 - Google Books
- 6. Last, R. J., McMinn, R. M. H.. Last's Anatomy, Regional and Applied. (1994) ISBN: 044304662X - Google Books