Yin-yang sign (solitary fibrous tumor)
The yin-yang sign is a radiologic appearance described in solitary fibrous tumor of the dura on MR.
On T2-weighted images, these tumors have two separate solid components, one that is hyperintense and one that is iso- to hypointense relative to brain parenchyma. Histologically, the former represents more hypercellular areas, while the latter represents more conspicuous collagenous stroma. The sign has also been described as a "patchy" or "black-and-white mixed" appearance. While some authors consider the appearance characteristic of solitary fibrous tumor 1-6, other authors have found it infrequently 7.
- 1. Weon YC, Kim EY, Kim HJ, Byun HS, Park K, Kim JH. Intracranial solitary fibrous tumors: imaging findings in 6 consecutive patients. (2007) AJNR. American journal of neuroradiology. 28 (8): 1466-9. doi:10.3174/ajnr.A0609 - Pubmed
- 2. Nawashiro H, Nagakawa S, Osada H, Katoh H, Ohnuki A, Tsuzuki N, Miyazawa T, Shima K, Ogata S, Aida S. Solitary fibrous tumor of the meninges in the posterior cranial fossa: magnetic resonance imaging and histological correlation--case report. (2000) Neurologia medico-chirurgica. 40 (8): 432-4. Pubmed
- 3. Kim KA, Gonzalez I, McComb JG, Giannotta SL. Unusual presentations of cerebral solitary fibrous tumors: report of four cases. (2004) Neurosurgery. 54 (4): 1004-9; discussion 1009. Pubmed
- 4. Frazier AA. The Yin and Yang of solitary fibrous tumor. (2014) Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 34 (2): 294. doi:10.1148/rg.342144003 - Pubmed
- 5. Clarençon F, Bonneville F, Rousseau A, Galanaud D, Kujas M, Naggara O, Cornu P, Chiras J. Intracranial solitary fibrous tumor: imaging findings. (2011) European journal of radiology. 80 (2): 387-94. doi:10.1016/j.ejrad.2010.02.016 - Pubmed
- 6. Sa G, Bonneville F, Poirier J, Lopes M, Dormont D, Chiras J. Giant solitary fibrous tumour of the meninges: MR-pathological correlation. (2006) Journal of neuroradiology. Journal de neuroradiologie. 33 (5): 343-6. Pubmed
- 7. Wang XQ, Zhou Q, Li ST, Liao CL, Zhang H, Zhang BY. Solitary fibrous tumors of the central nervous system: clinical features and imaging findings in 22 patients. (2013) Journal of computer assisted tomography. 37 (5): 658-65. doi:10.1097/RCT.0b013e3182a05687 - Pubmed