There is an association between congenital malformations of the seminal vesicle and the ipsilateral upper urinary tract because both the ureteral buds and the seminal vesicles originate from the mesonephric (Wolffian) duct 2,3.
Maldevelopment of the distal part of the mesonephric duct results in atresia of the ejaculatory duct (leading to obstruction and dilatation of the seminal vesicle), while an abnormality in the ureteral bud leads to renal agenesis/dysplasia 1.
Irrespective of imaging modality, the key findings are 1:
Treatment and prognosis
In asymptomatic patients, treatment is usually conservative, however, symptomatic patients are often treated surgically 5.
Seminal vesicle cysts should be differentiated from other cysts such as 4:
- 1. Ghonge NP, Aggarwal B, Sahu AK. Zinner syndrome: A unique triad of mesonephric duct abnormalities as an unusual cause of urinary symptoms in late adolescence. Indian J Urol. 2010;26 (3): 444-7. doi:10.4103/0970-1591.70592 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. Livingston L, Larsen CR. Seminal vesicle cyst with ipsilateral renal agenesis. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2000;175 (1): 177-80. doi:10.2214/ajr.175.1.1750177 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Denes FT, Montellato NI, Lopes RN et-al. Seminal vesicle cyst and ipsilateral renal agenesis. Urology. 1986;28 (4): 313-5. Pubmed citation
- 4. Kuo J, Foster C, Shelton DK. Zinner's Syndrome. World J Nucl Med. 2011;10 (1): 20-2. doi:10.4103/1450-1147.82115 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 5. Seo IY, Kim HS, Rim JS. Congenital seminal vesicle cyst associated with ipsilateral renal agenesis. Yonsei Med. J. 2009;50 (4): 560-3. doi:10.3349/ymj.2009.50.4.560 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 6. Naval-Baudin P, Carreño García E, Sanchez Marquez A, Valcárcel José J, Romero NM. Multicystic seminal vesicle with ipsilateral renal agenesis: two cases of Zinner syndrome. Scand J Urol 2017;51:81–4. -Pubmed citation
- 7. Zhengwu Tan, Bing Li, Lan Zhang, et-al. Classifying seminal vesicle cysts in the diagnosis and treatment of Zinner syndrome: A report of six cases and review of available literature. (2020) Andrologia. 52 (1): e13397. doi:10.1111/and.13397 - Pubmed