Ankle fracture: Weber B3
Weber ankle fracture is an easy system to classify lateral malleolar fractures in relation to the ankle joint.
Type B: distal extent at the level of the talar dome & may extend some distance proximally. tibiofibular syndesmosis usually intact but widening of the distal tibiofibular joint may be seen. Variable stability. Subtypes:
- B1: isolated
- B2: associated with a medial lesion in (malleolus or ligament)
- B3: associated with a medial lesion and fracture of posterolateral tibia (as in our case)
Type C: above the level of the ankle joint with disruption of tibiofibular syndesmosis with widening of the distal tibiofibular articulation.Unstable: usually requires ORIF. Subtypes:
- C1: simple diaphyseal fracture of the fibula
- C2: complex diaphyseal fracture of the fibula
- C3: proximal fracture of the fibula
Special thanks to Dr. Mohamed Ashfaque Kukkady.