Accessory renal arteries and bovine arch
Incidental findings in a patient recently diagnosed with right breast cancer, for CT staging.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
There are two arteries to each kidney, and one vein to each kidney. Conventional ureteric anatomy. There is also a bovine arch.
This case illustrates anatomical variation of the renal artery anatomy. The right kidney has, besides the main renal artery, a lower polar artery.
The left kidney has two about equal-sized renal arteries (upper and lower).
It is important to bear in mind that accessory renal arteries may also rarely arise from other arteries rather the aorta, such as the
- superior or inferior mesenteric artery
- celiac artery
- middle colic artery
- lumbar arteries
- gonadal arteries
- iliac arteries
- middle sacral arteries
- rarely from the contralateral renal artery
- 1-Urban BA, Ratner LE, Fishman EK. Three-dimensional volume-rendered CT angiography of the renal arteries and veins: normal anatomy, variants, and clinical applications. Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 21 (2): 373-86; questionnaire 549-55. doi:10.1148/radiographics.21.2.g01mr19373 - Pubmed
- 2-Arévalo Pérez J, Gragera Torres F, Marín Toribio A, Koren Fernández L, Hayoun C, Daimiel Naranjo I. Angio CT assessment of anatomical variants in renal vasculature: its importance in the living donor. Insights into imaging. 4 (2): 199-211. doi:10.1007/s13244-012-0217-5 - Pubmed
- 3-Kem D.C., Lyons D.F., Wenzl J., Halverstadt D., Yu X, Titze J., Bauer K., Schafflhuber M., Dietsch P., Lang R., Schwind K.H., Luft F.C., Eckhardt K.-U., Hilgers K.F, Barnoya J., Glantz S.A.. Accessory Renal Arteries—Mostly, But Not Always, Innocuous. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 17 (1): 3. doi:10.1681/ASN.2005101131
- 4-Budhiraja V, Budhiraja RR, Budhiraja AV, Budhiraja BCSR, Budhiraja GP. Supernumerary Renal Arteries and Their Embryological and Clinical Correlation: A Cadaveric Study from North India. International Scholarly Research Notices. doi:10.5402/2013/405712
- 5-T. Ramesh RAO, RACHANA. Aberrant renal arteries and its clinical significance: a case report. International Journal of Anatomical Variations.
- 6-Saba L, Sanfilippo R, Montisci R, Conti M, Mallarini G. Accessory renal artery stenosis and hypertension: are these correlated? Evaluation using multidetector-row computed tomographic angiography. Acta radiologica (Stockholm, Sweden : 1987). 49 (3): 278-84. doi:10.1080/02841850701777408 - Pubmed