Acute appendicitis on ultrasound
Two day history of worsening right iliac fossa pain.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
- Normal sized and non-tender bilateral ovaries on trans-abdominal scanning
- Vermiform appendix measuring 9 mm in diameter, with hyperaemia and absence of peristalsis
- Tenderness on ultrasound probe palpation of the vermiform appendix
- Non-compressive appendix
- Hyperechoic fat surrounding the vermiform appendix
- "Target" appearance on axial plane
The findings in this case are consistent with acute appendicitis.
The patient in this case proceeded to laparoscopic appendicectomy and the diagnosis of acute appendicitis was confirmed on subsequent histopathology, with focal mucosal ulceration and transmural acute inflammation.