Acute appendicitis: pediatric
Right sided back pain for 4 days.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
The right iliac fossa was examined by graded compression ultrasound.
An enlarged appendix (>6 mm) is seen with distinct wall layers as a blind-ending filled tube arising form the medial aspect of the cecum which was not compressible.
There is also surrounding abnormal echogenic omental fat.
Ileo-cecal lymphadenopathy is also noted.
Ultrasound is the investigation of choice in young patients being investigated for acute appendicitis.
Graded compression ultrasound is the technique used.
Findings to support the diagnosis are:
- aperistaltic, non-compressible, dilated appendix (>6 mm outer diameter)
- target appearance
- periappendiceal fluid collection
- periappendiceal hyperechoic structure
- echogenic prominent pericaecal fat
- distinct appendiceal wall layers