Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Matthew Hung had no recorded disclosures.View Matthew Hung's current disclosures
3 days of fever, sore throat, dysphagia, and odynophagia. History of uncontrolled diabetes mellitus.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Markedly enlarged epiglottis with peripheral enhancement, partially obstructing the airway. There is inflammation and swelling of the aryepiglottic folds, obliteration of bilateral piriform sinuses (best seen on coronal images), and mild swelling of the vocal cords. The valleculae are completely obliterated due to severe swelling of the epiglottis.
Multiple lymph nodes of variable size are present, most prominent in level II bilaterally.
2 case questions available
The patient was febrile on presentation to 38.1ºC, with elevated WBC count to 13.8. Flexible laryngoscopy revealed an erythematous and swollen epiglottis. The patient was taken to the OR emergently for awake tracheostomy. The patient improved on IV antibiotics and was discharged with augmentin. Rapid Group A Strep test was negative. Respiratory, throat and AFB cultures demonstrated no growth.
This case was submitted with supervision and input from:
Soni C. Chawla, M.D.
Department of Radiological Sciences
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Olive View - UCLA Medical Center
- Abdallah C. Acute epiglottitis: Trends, diagnosis and management. Saudi J Anaesth. 2012 Jul-Sep; 6(3): 279–281.
- Nemzek WR, Katzberg RW, Van Slyke MA, et al. A Reappraisal of the Radiologic Findings of Acute Inflammation of the Epiglottis and Supraglottic Structures in Adults. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 16:495–502, March 1995
23 public playlists include this case
- vi by mhmad alam
- Baş Boyun Radyolojisi Vakaları by omer faruk simitcioglu
- Soft tissue neck by Shayan Rashid Khawaja
- ENT by Cara Lucas ◉
- H and N Residents by Alex Samak
- SLE and PSS by Ashlee Kates-Ascioti
- vi by mhmad alam
- Suprahyoid Neck by Brian Dupree
- Iraq by Abdullah Hajar
- H&N 2 by HoangHuong
- head and neck by HYEYOUNG KO
- Head and neck by Ranjit kumar
- Exam cases (part 4) (part 1) by Noura Alraeesi
- H&N Long cases by Laila Adel Mohsen
- Epiglottitis by 안광민
- A short 2021 by Abdullah Hajar
- اطفال by Kamy
- cholera wie by Mariusz Wachowski
- Head & Neck by Louis raoult
- torax by Ricardo Heberto Re
- Hon viva nik by Nik M H Nik Hussin ◉
- pretest by Gi Eun Lee
- Enfektif by Yasin Aydın