Acute pulmonary embolism
Citation, DOI & case data
Admitted to the emergency on the eighth postoperative day of cranial reconstruction and CSF fistula correction, with a sudden left motor deficit and low oxygen saturation.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Filling defects in the left upper lobe, middle lobe, and right lower lobe pulmonary artery's lobar and segmental branches in keeping with acute pulmonary emboli.
There is an elevation of the right diaphragm and basal atelectasis in the right lower lobe periphery.
No pleural or pericardial effusion.
10 case questions available
Acute pulmonary embolism is a life-threatening complication of venous thromboembolic disease, which remains mostly underdiagnosed due to nonspecific manifestations 1-5. CTPA is the imaging modality of choice for prompt and reliable pulmonary embolism diagnosis, which is crucial to enable rapid treatment and guide patient management 1-4,6,7.
Eight days postoperatively, this patient had a sudden hypoxia episode, with strong clinical suspicion of pulmonary embolism, confirmed on CTPA.
- 1. Abigail K Tarbox, Mamta Swaroop. Pulmonary embolism. (2013) International Journal of Critical Illness and Injury Science. 3 (1): 69. doi:10.4103/2229-5151.109427 - Pubmed
- 2. Morrone D, Morrone V. Acute Pulmonary Embolism: Focus on the Clinical Picture. (2018) Korean circulation journal. 48 (5): 365-381. doi:10.4070/kcj.2017.0314 - Pubmed
- 3. Qiao-ying Ji, Mao-feng Wang, Cai-min Su et-al. Clinical symptoms and related risk factors in pulmonary embolism patients and cluster analysis based on these symptoms. (2017) Scientific Reports. 7 (1): 1. doi:10.1038/s41598-017-14888-7 - Pubmed
- 4. Ali S. Raja, Jeffrey O. Greenberg, Amir Qaseem et-al. Evaluation of Patients With Suspected Acute Pulmonary Embolism: Best Practice Advice From the Clinical Guidelines Committee of the American College of Physicians. (2015) Annals of Internal Medicine. 163 (9): 701-11. doi:10.7326/M14-1772 - Pubmed
- 5. Moore AJE, Moore WJ, Moore CMR et-al. Imaging of acute pulmonary embolism: an update. (2017) Cardiovascular Diagnosis and Therapy. 8 (3): 225-243. doi:10.21037/cdt.2017.12.01 - Pubmed
- 6. Kun Young Lim, Seth J. Kligerman, Cheng Ting Lin et-al. Missed Pulmonary Embolism on Abdominal CT. (2014) American Journal of Roentgenology. 202 (4): 738-43. doi:10.2214/AJR.13.11436 - Pubmed
- 7. Moritz H. Albrecht, Matthew W. Bickford, John W. Nance et-al. State-of-the-Art Pulmonary CT Angiography for Acute Pulmonary Embolism. (2016) American Journal of Roentgenology. 208 (3): 495-504. doi:10.2214/AJR.16.17202 - Pubmed