Citation, DOI and case data
Headache and vomiting.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Pre and post contrast CT Brain. Findings:
Large lesion in the right temporal lobe with a heterogeneous slightly hyperdense lobulated mass associated with a rounded well-circumscribed low attenuation component in the posterior superior aspect.
Moderate enhancement after administering IV contrast.
Associated white matter edema, although the amount of associated edema is less that what would be expected for a tumor this size.
Positive mass effect: near complete effacement of the right lateral ventricle, contralateral midline shift of 3mm with subfalcine herniation
No overlying bony permeative change.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Selected MR sequences through the brain. Findings:
Confirms the large lesion in the right temporal region with solid and cystic components.
Heterogeneous enhancement of the solid component, rim enhancement of the cystic component.
Large flow void, best appreciated in sagittal projection, consistent with a large vessel traveling through the lesion
Scattered foci of enhancement in the posterior aspect of the right side of the centrum semiovale, suggestive of satellite lesions.
Fiducials are noted in both frontal and occipital regions for operative planning.
This is a differential diagnosis case of a temporal lobe cystic lesion in a young adult. There are a few relevant entities one must consider when encountering a lesion of this appearance in this age group:
- ganglioneuroma: fully differentiated neural tumors, 60% occurring below the age of 20 years1, can demonstrate solid and cystic components as well as fine, speckled calcification.
- ganglioglioma: although primarily occurs in a pediatric population, the incidence in young adults is higher than that of ganglioneuroma
- Pilocytic astrocytoma: occurring mostly in pediatric age group, 60% are found in cerebellum with optic nerve, hypothalamus and brain stem consisting most of the other 40%. The location of the lesion, in this case, is somewhat unusual for a pilocytic astrocytoma
- DNET: mostly occurring in temporal lobes of young people, this is a relevant consideration in this case
- cystic metastasis: cystic metastasis with a mural nodule is the last but not least differential for this lesion
The patient went on to have surgery.
Final diagnosis: Anaplastic ganglioglioma (WHO grade III) with high-grade glial component resembling glioblastoma.
30 public playlist include this case
- brain by Radiology Resident Hadeel alyazori
- CNS by Dr Abdullah Hajar
- CNS2 by DR. SOO-CHIN TEO
- cns tm by Kavish Chaurasia
- Exam cases (part 10) (part 1) by Noura Alraeesi
- Anaplastic ganglioglioma by Mohammed alhammadi
- Neuro by eliotb
- Cortical Based Brain Tumours by Tom Gordon
- CYSTIC INTRACRANIAL TUMORS by Andre Vaz
- educational cases by Dr Sepehr Haghighi
- Neuroimaging by Doctor Silverio G. Austria II
- GD: Paediatrics - CNS - Brain tumours by Dr Gurjeet Dulku
- Onco9-P16 by tuanleminh
- Onco8-15 by tuanleminh
- TUMORES RAROS by Enrique Rodríguez
- Neuro as per path by Gabrielle
- BRAIN, Tumors by Tim
- RK090619 by Doctor Rohit Gupta
- Neuro - hemispheric mass by Dr David Serich
- CNS tumor temporal lobe by ali labeeb alwan
- Intra-axial Mass by Adil Naeem
- kejsy 16 by Lech Gradziński
- Neuroradiology by Fermi Sack
- CT Brain by Ahmad Nakdali
- 02 CNS 04 by Nikita Nadtochiy
- tumors by Marta Aguilar Perez
- 6b_109 Neuronal and mixed Neuronal-glial Tumours by RAB Six
- Neuro - Clinical Conditions - Masses by Dr Charlie Handley
- Neuronal and mixed neuronal-glial tumours by Sohrabh Memon
- Neuro FRCR 2B by Dr Feras Salhi