Aortic dissection - Stanford A
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Frank Gaillard had no recorded disclosures.View Frank Gaillard's current disclosures
Note: This case has been tagged as "legacy" as it no longer meets image preparation and/or other case publication guidelines.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Single image through the aortic arch demonstrates an aortic dissection. Involvement of the ascending aorta is consistent with a Stanford Type A aortic dissection.
Thoracic aortic dissection is commonly divided according to the Stanford classification into type A (involving the ascending aorta or aortic arch) and type B (involving the descending thoracic aorta only). The main causes of dissection are hypertension, atherosclerosis, Marfan’s syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, vasculitis, pregnancy and iatrogenic (aortic catheterization).
Complications of aortic dissection include dissection and occlusion of branch vessels, distal thromboembolism, aneurysmal dilatation and aortic rupture. Type A dissection may also result in coronary artery occlusion, aortic regurgitation and pericardial tamponade and therefore management of this type of dissection is usually emergency surgical repair. Type B dissections are usually managed with aggressive blood pressure control unless there are complications.
6 articles feature images from this case
22 public playlists include this case
- Chest CT - Internal Medicine by Guilherme de Abreu Pereira
- NEUROPED by rodrigo valadao negri
- BOB 2 by Allyana Rose Jaide Labbay
- VASCULAR IMAGING by Dr Angel Mthalane
- Call Prep Cases by Catherine (Rin) Panick
- M3 MO IV by Fabrice Viol
- Aortic dissection - type A by Mohammed alhammadi
- Chest/thoracic Cat 1 by Gabrielle
- osce by Amin Payandeh
- Aortic Dissection by Stefan Noons
- DISSECÇÃO AORTA by BRUNA LOPES NAVES
- CVS by Marko Atanasković
- Vascular by Allister Howie
- Aort diseksiyonu - Stanford A by Mehmet
- Dissection by Doc Rad Meg
- AORTA by Mattia Russo
- Fall1 by Paweł Szaro
- ED exam by Lincoln J R Lim
- Sd. Aórticas by Guilherme Suchard
- Acute Aortic Syndrome by Dhruv Patel ◉
- A short 2021 by Abdullah Hajar
- CHEST (FCPS 2 viva playlist) by Kanwal Laique