Aorto-left renal vein fistula
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Vincent Tatco had no recorded disclosures.View Vincent Tatco's current disclosures
Prior exploratory laparotomy for penetrating abdominal trauma (stabbing). Presented with abdominal pain and hematuria. Abdominal bruit was demonstrated on auscultation.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
There is a communication (fistula) between the right lateral portion of the abdominal aorta and left renal vein with pseudoaneurym formation.
The right renal artery arises from the pseudoaneurysm. The right kidney is atrophic likely due to "steal phenomenon" caused by the fistula.
The inferior vena cava and renal veins are dilated. Linear defect is seen within the left renal vein which is likely part of post-traumatic or post-surgical changes.
A large retroperitoneal hematoma is demonstrated surrounding the enlarged left kidney.
Rectus abdominis diastasis is also observed.
This is a case of post-traumatic aorto-left renal vein fistula. Fistulas between the aorta and the left renal vein are extremely rare. It most cases, this pathological communication results as a complication of abdominal aortic aneurysms, mostly when a retroaortic left renal vein is present. It is less commonly seen as a post-traumatic or post-surgical complication since simultaneous injury to both vessels (aorta and left renal vein) is necessary for it to form.
- 1. Batt M, Hassen-Khodja R, Bayada JM et-al. Traumatic fistula between the aorta and the left renal vein: case report and review of the literature. J. Vasc. Surg. 1989;9 (6): 812-6. Pubmed citation
- 2. Mittal VK, Diaz-Velez A, Cortez JA et-al. Traumatic aorto-left renal vein fistula. Int Surg. 1983;67 (4): 367-9. Pubmed citation
- 3. Jabbour N, Radulescu OV, Flogiates T et-al. Hemodynamics of an aorta-left renal vein fistula: a case report and a review of the literature. Crit. Care Med. 1993;21 (7): 1092-5. Pubmed citation
2 articles feature images from this case
13 public playlists include this case
- Interesting cases by Osamah A. A. Alwalid
- trauma by Timothy Wong
- Vascular viva by Eman Mansour
- Vascular (body) practice set 1 - easy to intermediate - complete by Western Australian Radiology Training
- FRCR2b by Diana Foyedo
- Vascular IR by Taimur
- Vas-2 by tuanleminh ◉
- GU by Taimur
- Vascular cases by Antonio Castellaccio
- srlong by Syed Rahman
- Cases by Joao Ricardo Moreira
- FRCR2b by Divyanka Srivastava
- FRCR2b by Diana Foyedo