Basal ganglionic infarction
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Ahmed Abdrabou had no recorded disclosures.View Ahmed Abdrabou's current disclosures
Disturbed conscious level of 20 hours duration.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Acute infarction involving the putamen, head and body of caudate nucleus as well as the posterior limb of internal capsule (territory of lateral lenticulostriate artery). It displays bright signal in DWI and low signal in ADC confirming the diffusion restriction status. Together with faintly bright signal in T2 and FLAIR without significant mass effect or hemorrhage. MRA reveals complete occlusion of the right ICA with refilling of the ACA and MCA through circle of Willis.
The basal ganglia receive their blood supply from the medial and lateral lenticulostriate arteries. While the former is a branch from the ACA that supplies the anteromedial head of caudate and anterior limb of the internal capsule, the latter is a branch from the MCA and supplies the putamen, head of caudate and posterior limb of the internal capsule. The thalamus, instead, receives its blood supply from the thalamoperforators arising from the posterior cerebral arteries. This patient is known to have SLE.
4 articles feature images from this case
19 public playlists include this case
- Cns by Maimoona murad khan
- Neuro cases by osama
- Neuropsych OSCE prep by Moe mi
- CICM exam 1 by HESHAM ABDELWAHED
- Infarcts by M Sanal Kumar
- neuro 1 by nezar shlaka
- Neuro by Péricles Almeida da Costa
- brain - basal ganglia by Daniela Riedl
- Brain Anatomy & Ischemic Stroke SKILLS LAB PART 4 by Gregorius Enrico, Sp.Rad
- Neuro-inflamatory, infections and neurodegenerative by Peneoasu Cristian
- Neuro Cases by Ala Alsherbini ◈
- NeuroMRI by Simonas Jesmanas
- Favourite neuro cases by Rohit Sharma ◉
- Acute by Fernan Zambrano
- Exam cases by Iqbal
- Neuro subspec cases by O .
- STROKE pathway by omer abo elmatty
- Brain by Tina
- cns infarcts by shabnam khalafi