Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Ian Bickle had no recorded disclosures.View Ian Bickle's current disclosures
Elderly patient with know cardiac failure. Acute on chronic shortness of breath. Fluid overload?
Even allowing for the AP projection, the cardiac silhouette is enlarged. Small bilateral pleural effusions.
Bilateral perihilar consolidation/airspace change with a "bat wing" appearance.
The "bat wing" appearance is used to describe the appearance of perihilar consolidation in the context of pulmonary edema.
It typically occurs when pulmonary wedge pressures are high. It is one of the core plain radiograph features of cardiac failure.
1 article features images from this case
26 public playlists include this case
- Chest x-ray basic search strategies and pathology (part 1) by Andrew Murphy ◉
- chwst by simranjit bawa
- SAK chest by Seema Kembhavi
- GK - Chest - CXR Basic by GLK
- Chest by Ramy Gamal El-Sayed Ayad
- CXR-corepathology by Ian Bickle ◉
- Chest 13 May by Emily Stevens
- Chest Viva 2 by Miguel
- Chest by Mahaelsawy
- CHEST GENERAL by Deyan P. Ivanov
- Textbook CXRS by Ian Bickle ◉
- 2021 3 by Richard Hodgson ◉
- ICU chest cases by Paul Heyworth
- TRAINING by Piyathida
- Chest 2 by Rubi Subhash
- Chest Playlist by Alex Nath
- FRANZCR 02 Chest by AMIRSALEH JAFARI
- Chest by Gajan Surendra
- 2022 3 by Richard Hodgson ◉
- supervision by Richard Hodgson ◉
- Chest by Afonso Carvalho Silva
- CXR by Kolbeinn Hans Halldorsson
- CXR by Clayton McCuiston
- Chest by Dr Neda Noroozian
- misc chest by Kevin Sheng
- 2023 Chest by Richard Hodgson ◉