Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Domenico Nicoletti had no recorded disclosures.View Domenico Nicoletti's current disclosures
No history of previous illness but with an ambiguous reference to recent food and drink overindulgence, was presented to Emergency department complaining of the sudden onset of gradually increasing, lower thorax post emetic pain and subcutaneous emphysema.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
The suspicion of spontaneous esophageal rupture was confirmed on CT scan and esophagogram by the presentation of bilateral pleural effusion together with right sided contrast extravasation from the lower third of the esophagus and pneumomediastinum.
Boerhaave syndrome is suspected on a clinical basis and confirmed with radiologic studies. As gastric content passes to mediastinum and usually pleural space, a delay in diagnosis raises morbidity and mortality significantly.
Boerhaave syndrome is a spontaneous longitudinal perforation of the esophagus due to forceful emesis first described by Hermann Boerhaave in the 18th century.
This pathology is best treated with definitive repair and mediastinal and/or pleural drainage procedures.
2 articles feature images from this case
27 public playlists include this case
- Acute emergencies by Apoorva
- Chest Waikato by Leon Vasquez
- Team FRCR 2b Gi and hepatobiliary session internal 5 Feb 2022 by Yojit Kailas Agrawal
- GIT frcr by Dr Feras Salhi
- Mediastinitis by Elena Radu
- av git by Avni K P Skandhan ◉
- TORAX by Solari Damian
- lubna by lubna farooq
- abdome by Marcus Vinicius Galon
- Hépatogastroenterology by Félix
- Esophageal Rupture by Jonathan Bong
- GIT by Ahmed Hamdy Mhsb
- Intervention/ Gefäße by Ulrike Bartosch
- GI by Sayed Hashim AlQarooni
- Nice education cases by Jing Luo
- ED teaching Chest by Matthew Leung
- Call Prep Cases by Catherine (Rin) Panick
- CHEST by Michael Gonzalez Soto
- FRCR Random by Rubi Subhash
- Tgi by Anxhela Tabaku
- plantão by Marcus Vinicius Galon
- esophagus by Nguyen Thi Huyen
- Viva Set 21 by Doctor Radiologist
- Dont Miss by Seanthan Senthilnathan
- FA Gastrointestinal DD by Elena Dama
- tórax by Marcus Vinicius Galon
- OSCER chest by Waseem Mehmood Nizamani