Brain metastases from breast cancer
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Angel Donato had no recorded disclosures.View Angel Donato's current disclosures
History of infiltrating ductal carcinoma of the breast on chemotherapy. Currently presents with a headache.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Innumerable scattered bilateral focal enhancing lesions in both cerebral and cerebellar hemispheres, with vasogenic edema and mass effect.
Large burden of intracranial metastatic disease.
Breast cancer is the most common cause of brain metastases in females. It may metastasize to the brain via a hematogenous and leptomeningeal route. This indicates a poor prognosis and a decreased quality of life. Approximately 10% to 16% of patients with metastatic breast cancer develop brain metastasis during their disease.
Risk factors implicated in the development of brain metastasis in patients with breast cancer include young age, negative hormone receptor status, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) amplification, and p53 overexpression.
Differential diagnosis of cerebral metastasis includes; brain abscesses, demyelinating disease, glioblastoma, and lymphoma.
- Znidaric T, Gugic J, Marinko T, et al. Breast cancer patients with brain metastases or leptomeningeal disease: 10‐year results of a national cohort with validation of prognostic indexes. (2019) The Breast Journal. doi:10.1111/tbj.13433 - Pubmed
- Bastos DCA, Maldaun MVC, Sawaya R, et al. Biological subtypes and survival outcomes in breast cancer patients with brain metastases in the targeted therapy era. (2018) Neuro-oncology practice. 5 (3): 161-169. doi:10.1093/nop/npx033 - Pubmed
1 article features images from this case
14 public playlists include this case
- CNS 2 by Menna Aly
- Neuroimaging cases by Ramy Gamal El-Sayed Ayad
- Session 9 - Immune System by Osama Al-Jibury
- CNS 1 SK by Saneej Kanhirat
- tumors by Marta Aguilar Perez
- brain - infratentorial by Daniela Riedl
- MR10-10 by tuanleminh ◉
- CNS (FCPS-II VIVA playlist #1) by Kanwal Laique
- Important cases by Gulshan gupta
- Brain 1 - Anatomy, Cysts and Tumors by Anderson Silva Chalegre
- Favourite neuro cases by Rohit Sharma ◉
- MR17 by tuanleminh ◉
- Brain imaging by Kamil Kayayurt
- Cystic lesions of the brain by Mohamed shweel ◉