Citation, DOI & case data
Note: This case has been tagged as "legacy" as it no longer meets image preparation and/or other case publication guidelines.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
The above axial maximum-intensity projection slab from a CT cerebral angiogram shows dilatation of both superior ophthalmic veins and engorgement of the cavernous sinuses. The appearance is consistent with caroticocavernous fistula.
Digital subtraction angiography (not shown) demonstrated the fistula to be of the indirect (low-flow) type.
Caroticocavernous fistula can be classified as direct (high-flow) or indirect (low-flow). High flow fistulas are due to a direct communication and are usually due to trauma or rupture of cavernous ICA aneurysm. Indirect fistulas are due to communication by multiple dural branches of ECA +/- ICA, and are postulated to occur secondary to cavernous sinus thrombosis with revascularization.
Endovascular treatment of direct fistulas may be by transarterial (via ICA rent into cavernous sinus) or transvenous (inferior petrosal sinus or superior ophthalmic vein) routes. Indirect fistulas typically require a combined transarterial (closure of feeders) and transvenous (closure of cavernous sinus) approach.
Credit: Dr Laughlin Dawes and Dr Constantine Phatouros.
- 1. Castillo M. Neuroradiology Companion 3rd edition. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins 2006
1 article features images from this case
22 public playlists include this case
- VC CNS H N S PART II by Dr Vinicius Carraro do Nascimento
- kejsy #1 (part 13) by Lech Gradziński
- neuro by Dra Johana Rosinger
- neuroRAD by Dr Dr Angel Mthalane
- Neuro FRCR 2B by Dr Feras Salhi
- H&N by Dr Lemuel Marquez Narcise
- GIT frcr by Dr Feras Salhi
- Intervention/ Gefäße by Ulrike Bartosch
- CNS EXAM CASES FOR FCPS... PLAYLIST #1 by Dr Kanwal Laique
- orbit by Dr Sharbell Hashoul
- Head and Neck - Adult Clinical Conditions - Orbit by Dr Charlie Handley
- IEC by PEDRO MORGAN LOUREIRO MIGUELOTE
- CNS cases by Dr Arthur Daire
- Frcr 2b by Syed Rahman
- Primer - Neuroradiology - Sellar/Juxtasellar by Aman
- head and neck by dr vaibhav by dr rajendra jain
- Neuro viva by Rebekah Lee
- vascular by Dr.med. Sophie Winkler
- vghtc10411 by shaun hsiao
- Manzoor-Rad CNS by Manzoor Ahmad
- Manzoor-Rad Mixed (part 3) by Manzoor Ahmad
- 02 Head & Neck (CPSP) by Dr. Afaaq Rasool Afaaq Rasool ◉