Caustic esophageal stricture
Dysphagia and odynophagia, could only ingest liquids and occasionally pasty food. History of caustic ingestion five years earlier.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
There is a long segment smooth stricture involving most of the thoracic esophagus, more severe in the upper and middle third. There is no extraluminal leakage of contrast. Few air bubbles are present as lucent filling defects.
The contrast flowed to the stomach and pylorus into the duodenum.
6 case question available
Caustic ingestion in children is usually accidental 1,2,5. Corrosive esophagitis can cause esophageal perforation, fistulas, stricture formation in the esophagus, stomach lesions, and may progress to the development of esophageal carcinoma 1-5.
The barium contrast studies provide essential information regarding the location, number, length, and tightness of the esophageal strictures 3,5. This case illustrates the typical radiological features of long segment esophageal stenosis in a boy who had ingested a caustic substance some years before.
- Rennah Gonçalves, MD - PGY-1, Radiology Resident, Department of Radiology
- Antonio Rodrigues de Aguiar Neto, MD - Radiologist, Department of Radiology
- Hospital da Restauração – Recife, PE – Brazil
- 1. Contini S, Swarray-Deen A, Scarpignato C. Oesophageal corrosive injuries in children: a forgotten social and health challenge in developing countries. (2009) Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 87 (12): 950-4. doi:10.2471/BLT.08.058065 - Pubmed
- 2. Chen, Chuan-Mei, Chung, Yueh-Chin, Tsai, Li-Hung, Tung, Yi-Chen, Lee, Horng-Mo, Lin, Mei-Ling, Liu, Hsin-Li, Tang, Woung-Ru. A Nationwide Population-Based Study of Corrosive Ingestion in Taiwan: Incidence, Gender Differences, and Mortality. (2019) Gastroenterology Research and Practice. 2016: 7905425. doi:10.1155/2016/7905425 - Pubmed
- 3. Hashmi M, Ali M, Ullah K, Aleem A, Khan I H. Clinico-epidemiological Characteristics of Corrosive Ingestion: A Cross-sectional Study at a Tertiary Care Hospital of Multan, South-Punjab Pakistan. (2018) Cureus. 10 (5): e2704. doi:10.7759/cureus.2704 - Pubmed
- 4. Pia Luedtke, Marc S. Levine, Stephen E. Rubesin, Donald S. Weinstein, Igor Laufer. Radiologic Diagnosis of Benign Esophageal Strictures: A Pattern Approach1. (2003) RadioGraphics. 23 (4): 897-909. doi:10.1148/rg.234025717 - Pubmed
- 5. Rohan Kamat, Pankaj Gupta, Yalaka Rami Reddy, Suman Kochhar, Birinder Nagi, Rakesh Kochhar. Corrosive injuries of the upper gastrointestinal tract: A pictorial review of the imaging features. (2019) Indian Journal of Radiology and Imaging. 29 (1): 6. doi:10.4103/ijri.IJRI_349_18 - Pubmed