Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Henry Knipe had no recorded disclosures.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Mildly heterogeneous sclerotic expansile lesion involving the body of the right mandible, which is related to the roots of 4.4 to 4.8 (these do not appear eroded). No separate tooth components. Cortical thinning without disruption. Narrow zone of transition. No associated soft tissue mass. No cervical lymphadenopathy. Remainder of the imaged suprahyoid neck is unremarkable.
The patient proceeded to mandibular biopsy.
MICROSCOPIC DESCRIPTION: Multiple fragments of compact bone with attached cellular fibroblastic tissue composed of disorganized spindle and epithelioid cells with focal ossification. No necrosis or mitotic activity is identified. The features extend to the biopsy edges.
DIAGNOSIS: Right mandible bone biopsies: Features favoring ossifying fibroma. Radiological correlation recommended.
There is variable terminology of these lesions, known commonly as cemento-ossifying fibroma or just as ossifying fibromas. These are rare lesions of the mandible, less commonly occurring in the maxilla. Overall, the imaging appearances are of a benign lesion with differential diagnosis including fibrous dysplasia.
- Bowers L, Cohen D, Bhattacharyya I, Pettigrew J, Stavropoulos M. The Non-Ossifying Fibroma: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Head Neck Pathol. 2013;7(2):203-10. doi:10.1007/s12105-012-0399-7 - Pubmed
4 articles feature images from this case
25 public playlists include this case
- MSK 4 by SOO-CHIN TEO
- Mandible Lesions by Alexander Bode
- Msk by Kevin Sheng
- dental by Ruilin Raelene Jin ◈
- 2b z2 by Ahmed Emira
- Mandible and Maxilla hehehe sorry by Monica Marques
- Neuro by Sean Sweeney-Knapp
- H&N - Adult Clinical Conditions - Sinus by Charlie Handley
- Junior Plate 08 Oct 2019 by Chitani Mbewe
- MSK viva cases by Sean Sweeney-Knapp
- Head and neck by Meydene Ong
- casos by José Aurelio Yusta Zato
- 2b z2 by Ahmed Emira
- FFR2B 5.0 by Blathnaid Murphy ◉
- Sinus neoplasms and neoplastic-like conditions by David Martineau ◉
- mi by Lea Al Matny
- H&N by Taimur
- Mandible by Kenneth Kwok
- Tumors by Kayla Beck
- MSK bone lesions by Frank Dorrian
- Head & Neck by Rushani Samarakoon
- cns viva by Eman Mansour
- benign by Gülfem Özlü Uçan
- Jaw lesions by Hanson Leung
- MSK (FCPS-II VIVA playlist) by Kanwal Laique