Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Frank Gaillard had no recorded disclosures.View Frank Gaillard's current disclosures
Sudden onset headache.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Within the body of the left lateral ventricle is a mass with heterogeneous signal on all sequences, and only faint irregular enhancement. The lateral ventricle does not follow CSF signal with signal drop out on gradient echo imaging consistent with blood.
2 case questions available
The patient went on to have surgery and resection of the mass.
MICROSCOPIC DESCRIPTION: Sections show fragments of tumor, comprising uniform, rounded nuclei within a delicate fibrillary neuropil-like stroma. There are cell free neuropil-like islands, and delicate branching capillaries within the stroma. Mitotic figures are not observed within tumor cells. The tumor shows strong diffuse staining for synaptophysin and NeuN, and is negative for GFAP, which stains background astrocytic processes. There is no microvascular proliferation. Necrosis is observed, however, particularly in association with areas of hematoma formation within the tumor. ki67 within tumor cell nuclei is interpreted as being low, with hot spots of staining in areas of necrosis that may relate to inflammatory cell infiltration.
FINAL DIAGNOSIS: Intraventricular tumor - central neurocytoma, WHO Grade 2.
Typical appearances of a central neurocytoma, with an uncommon but certainly recognized complication of intraventricular hemorrhage.
1 article features images from this case
20 public playlists include this case
- Revise 2 by Mohamed Faragalla
- BRAIN TUMORS by Deyan P. Ivanov
- Neuro by Alvaro Zuñiga Gutierrez
- GD: Paediatrics - CNS - Brain tumours by Gurjeet Dulku
- CNS Gen by Tzu-Yun Chung
- NRAD by Johann Jende
- Neuro 1 by Sarah Kalus
- Beyin Tümörleri by Hasan Köseoğlu
- Revision 4th Novmber 2021 by Henry Zhao
- Primer - Neuroradiology - Tumour by Aman
- cancer by danial safadi
- Tony Chen September by Tony Chen
- BRAIN, Tumors by Tim
- Neuro by Dito Iatashvili
- VC PART II by Vinicius Carraro do Nascimento
- Brain tumors by Jonathan Bong
- Neuro 3 by Johana Rosinger
- CNS 30 by Jeneesh K
- MRI 12-P12 by tuanleminh ◉
- FRCR 2B by Maryam Rahiminejad