Citation, DOI & case data
New onset partial seizure.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Right frontal lobe ring enhancing lesion, centered at the grey-white junction, measuring 28 mm in maximal diameter and with marked surrounding vasogenic edema and mass effect as described on the earlier CT.
The lesion has a well-defined T2 hypointense margin and demonstrates marked central diffusion restriction. A prominent lipid and lactate peak is noted on spectroscopy (not shown). Thin peripheral hypointensity seen on echoplanar sequence is complete and smooth.
Right maxillary sinus mucous retention cysts are noted as described on the previous CT. No evidence of sinusitis or mastoiditis is identified. Cavum septum pellucidum and vergae.
The marked diffusion restriction and elevated lactate on MRS are most consistent with cerebral abscess.
The patient went on to have a craniotomy and drainage of pus containing cavity.
Specimen Type : Aspirate, Right Frontal Lesion
- MICROSCOPY (Gram stain)
- Leukocytes +++
- Gram positive cocci +++
- Streptococcus anginosus group (milleri group) +++
1 article features images from this case
23 public playlists include this case
- CNS INFECTION by Amr Ibrahem Elgendy
- VV NEURO VIVA by V V
- Neuro viva by Miguel
- MRI brain by Dr Pallavi Kamat
- Core Conditions 05.3 - CNS infection/tumour pre-reading by RMH Core Conditions ◈
- Brain infection by Dr Francis Deng ◉
- Neuro by Dan Helmy
- cases 2 by Shahrooz Mohammadi
- Brain by Miguel
- RBWH HOT SEAT - Brain Tumours by Dr Philip Vivian
- Neurology by Celjeta
- Brain Tumor by Dr David Cuete
- Brain FCPS by asim latif
- Neuro by Dito Iatashvili
- Head and neck by Dr. Robert Ligetfalvi
- 3 by Shahrooz Mohammadi
- CNS Inflammation by Cary MacMillan
- Neuro as per path by Gabrielle
- 2b by Shahrooz Mohammadi
- Absceso cerebral by Dr Ruben Alvaro Antezana Muñoz
- Part 2 Neuro by Dr Hao Xiang
- Patologías en RMN Cerebral by Dr. Francisco Gallegos
- WSU Medstudents Neuro and Abdo Cases by Chandra