Cerebral metastasis - breast cancer
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Frank Gaillard had no recorded disclosures.View Frank Gaillard's current disclosures
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Single image of non-contrast study and post contrast demonstrate a heterogeneously enhancing right frontal lobe mass with extensive surrounding edema. The mass has it's epicenter close to the grey white matter junction. It appears a solitary lesion.
The patient went on to have surgery and excision of the mass.
Sections show a malignant epithelial neoplasm composed of cells with large pleomorphic nuclei with frequent mitotic figures and abundant cytoplasm. The cells are arranged in sheets and glandular structures and there is abundant tumor necrosis. The tumor is adherent to and invades into dura matter. Several fragments show the interface between tumor and brain with definite invasion of the neuropil. Tumor is present in all the submitted sections including those marked with ink and sutures.
Final Diagnosis: Metastatic carcinoma.
This patient has known metastatic breast cancer and is a good example of how cerebral metastases and gliomas can look similar.
4 articles feature images from this case
22 public playlists include this case
- breast by ahmed elfeky
- Intracranial tumours by Peneoasu Cristian
- Starter CT Brain cases by Alex Davies
- Mix cases for 28/07 by Can Hazar
- 4a_015 Staging of Breast Cancer and Metastatic Disease by RAB Four
- Introducción a la Neuroradiología by Silvana F Ciardullo
- CNS 1 SK by Saneej Kanhirat
- Student head case by Thuấn Nguyễn Hoàng
- 2continue : Brain by David Fällmar ◉
- BRAIN CASES by Humphrey Mapuranga
- Brain Anatomy & Ischemic Stroke SKILLS LAB PART 4 by Gregorius Enrico, Sp.Rad
- Certificate: 4a_015 Staging of Breast Cancer and Metastatic Disease by RAB Four
- PL2 by tuanleminh ◉
- CT Head Teaching by Joshua Taylor
- Taller de repaso by Silvana F Ciardullo
- Brain by Scott Quadrelli
- CXR and CT Brain RMO Teaching by Ayomikun Asonibare
- Brain tumour by Thuấn Nguyễn Hoàng
- CT head teaching by Khalil Elgendy
- CT head case by Thuấn Nguyễn Hoàng
- Neuro Quiz by Miguel Ángel Calderón Santisteban
- CNS (FCPS 2 VIVA Playlist #2) by Kanwal Laique