Choledochal cysts - type IVa
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
Niknejad M, Choledochal cysts - type IVa. Case study, Radiopaedia.org (Accessed on 02 Jun 2023) https://doi.org/10.53347/rID-20611
At the time the case was submitted for publication Mohammadtaghi Niknejad had no recorded disclosures.View Mohammadtaghi Niknejad's current disclosures
30 Nov 2012
34 times, by 6 contributors - see full revision history and disclosures
Abdominal pain and jaundice.
Age: 25 years
From the case: Choledochal cysts - type IVa
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Axial C+ portal venous phase
There are multiple intrahepatic cysts and a large extrahepatic cyst that are related to the biliary tree.
Ring artifact is evident.
The findings are compatible with choledochal cysts ( type IVa ).
Choledochal cysts are an uncommon anomaly of the biliary system manifested by cystic dilatation of the extrahepatic or intrahepatic biliary tree or both.
Choledochal cysts can be classified into five types 1 :
- type 1 cyst: is most common, accounting for 80 - 90% of cases. It is divided into
- type 1A - cystic dilatation of the common duct.
- type 1B - focal segmental common duct dilatation
- type 1C - fusiform dilatation of the common bile duct.
- type 2 cyst: accounts for about 2% of patients and consists of a true diverticulum arising from the common duct.
- type 3 cyst: accounting for 1 - 5% of cases, consists of a choledochocele and involves only the intraduodenal portion of the duct.
- type 4 cyst: is divided into
- type 4A: multiple intrahepatic cysts and an extrahepatic cyst, which accounts for 19% of cases
- type 4B: multiple extrahepatic cysts, which are much less common.
- type 5 cyst: or Caroli’s disease, consists of single or multiple intrahepatic biliary cysts. Approximately two-thirds of patients with Caroli’s disease also have the extrahepatic disease.
- Savader SJ, Benenati JF, Venbrux AC et-al. Choledochal cysts: classification and cholangiographic appearance. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1991;156 (2): 327-31. AJR Am J Roentgenol (abstract) - Pubmed citation
1 article features images from this case
58 public playlists include this case
- Biliary CT by Thuấn Nguyễn Hoàng
- Gi by Kevin Sheng
- ABD Gall by Cary MacMillan
- Test 17-07 by Thuấn Nguyễn Hoàng
- coffee and cream by Vish
- Abdomen by shalabi
- core ped by ahmed alaa al-agamy
- Biliary by Miguel
- Abdo VIVA by Michael Le ◉
- liver lesions by sananda haldar ◉
- Liver benign tumor by Hamidou Kourouma
- Cystic hepatic lesions by Omid
- H biliary by dr quratulain
- CHEST/ABDO 12/5 by Angelis Belessis
- 12/03/2023 by Joshua Yip
- WART ONLINE TEACHING_BILIARY by Nathalie Falkner
- SSAAA2 by Susheel K
- Biliary tree/gallbladder by Allister Howie
- Abdo 1 by Alice Andrawos ◈
- Mamdouh Mahfouz - Abdomen (Biliary) by Mohamed Shedeed
- ABM Quiz by Dr Ali Basim
- Selected viva by mohamed emadaldin mahmoud
- ADITI GIT by Aditi Vipin
- GK - Abdo - Billiary by GLK
- WDHB - Abdomen by Pieter Wood
- GIT Imaging by Lea Aina Abrazaldo
- Body by Thomas M. Anderson ◉
- Biliary by Sindhura Nirmalarajan ◉
- 2차 시험 by JinHo Kwon
- VC PART II GIT GU by Vinicius Carraro do Nascimento
- Abdo by Whitney Graff
- GIT by yosra
- 2.1.4 E1 by Elisabeth Ranharter
- Abdomen/Pelvis VIVA by Dhruv Patel ◉
- HPB lesions by Horea Craciun
- Abdo by Angelis Belessis
- good by sherif
- bluekona by Hyunseung Koh
- SSA1 by Susheel K
- Bbb by Allyana Rose Jaide Labbay
- leber by Ulrike Bartosch
- Core review by Whitney Boyce ◉
- GI 5 by HoangHuong
- liver lesions by Afaq Mohamed Siddiqui
- Abdo - Adult Clinical Conditions - Hepatobiliary by Charlie Handley
- GD: Hepatobiliary by Gurjeet Dulku
- abdomen by Ulrike Bartosch
- Imanabdo (part 1) by Iman Fani
- Spotters 2 by Abhilash Sandhyala
- hepatobilliary by simranjit bawa
- Exam cases (part 1) (part 1) by Noura Alraeesi
- Abdo by Alborz Jahangiri
- BOB 2 by Allyana Rose Jaide Labbay
- abdo- liver gallblader bile ducts by ANA CARLA BENITEZ MENDES
- GIT (FCPS-II VIVA PLAYLIST) by Kanwal Laique
- GI 2B by Hannah Morley
- SW abdomen by Sam Wellman
- SSS26 by Susheel K