Choroid plexus papilloma
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Frank Gaillard had no recorded disclosures.View Frank Gaillard's current disclosures
Headache, nausea and vomiting.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
A vividly enhancing mass in the 4th ventricle is present, with speckled calcification. It is a solitary lesion, and no hydrocephalus is present.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
A 17 x 16 x 17 mm mass is seen within the floor of the fourth ventricle. No extension into the foramen of Luschka. It is isointense to parenchyma on T1, T2 hyperintense, and mildly hyperintense on FLAIR, with vivid diffuse contrast enhancement. No diffusion restriction. No foci of hemorrhage seen on EPI, although there are areas of linear hyperdensity on CT that may represent calcification.
No hydrocephalus seen.
Perfusion study demonstrates increased cerebral blood flow within the mass. MR spectroscopy (not shown) over the mass demonstrates slight reduction in NAA and reversal of the choline to creatinine ratio, although unfortunately a sloping baseline reduces specificity of findings.
T2/FLAIR white matter and periventricular hyperintensity in keeping with chronic small vessel ischemic change. Fluid seen within the ethmoid and sphenoid sinuses.
Tumor within the floor of the fourth ventricle. Given the CT and MRI appearances the differential includes ependymoma, more likely (given the vivid enhancement) a choroid plexus papilloma. Less likely possibilities include a metastasis, or even less likely intraventricular meningioma.
The patient went on to have a resection.
MICROSCOPIC DESCRIPTION: Paraffin sections confirm the frozen section diagnosis of choroid plexus papilloma. The consist of fragments of delicate papillary structures with fibrovascular cores covered by a single layer of cytologically unremarkable choroid plexus epithelium. No mitotic figures, solid papillae or areas of necrosis are identified.
1 article features images from this case
48 public playlists include this case
- WDHB - Neuro, Head and Neck by Pieter Wood
- Brain by Maxim Simonov
- JY Sellar, Suprasellar, and Ventricular by Juliana K. Yee
- neuro by Ulrike Bartosch
- Neurorad case by Mesut Ozturk
- Exam cases (part 10) (part 1) by Noura Alraeesi
- Neuro (part 6) (part 1) by Taimur
- CNS HN SPINE by Bassem Abbas Mahmoud
- Neuro and Heand & Neck cases by Ahmed Hamdy Mhsb
- Report Writing 1 by Mayooran Kandasamy
- neuro by Johana Rosinger
- CNS cases by Saad Ahmed Saad Hassan
- neuro by Geethal M
- 6b_109 Choroid Plexus Tumours by RAB Six
- GK - Neuro - Brain tumours by GLK
- Fourth ventricle mass in adults and children by Ksw
- MRI brain by Pallavi Kamat
- Neuroradiologia by Mario Umana
- Neuroradiology by Ranjit kumar
- Trainee teaching: Posterior fossa tumours by Daniel Scoffings ◉
- CT brain by Meydene Ong
- Brain tumours by Meydene Ong
- Mimics by Taimur
- Training by Johann Jende
- Tumores neuro by Cleverson Leitão
- Manzoor-Rad CNS by Manzoor Ahmad
- educational cases by Sepehr Haghighi
- P2 - Brain tumours by Sachintha Hapugoda ◉
- CNS 2b by Mohamed Talaat
- neoplasms of the brain by Dr. Valentin Karl Ladenhauf
- Beyin Tümörleri by Hasan Köseoğlu
- GD: Paediatrics - CNS - Brain tumours by Gurjeet Dulku
- 003_ZB by Johann Jende
- Manzoor-Rad Mixed (part 3) by Manzoor Ahmad
- Brain lesions by Manish99
- kejsy #1 (part 4) by Lech Gradziński
- YJL 2B Neuro by YJ Lee
- Neuro by Dito Iatashvili
- 2016 neuro by Julia Williams
- Choroid plexus tumours by Sohrabh Memon
- E-FIlms 101 by Sherif Maccar ◉
- Casos Neuro by Eduardo Siña
- Neuro Core by Sean Lee ◉
- Neuro by Mohammed Zehairy
- neuro Sep 22 by elroy
- Neuro 2 by Eugene Ng
- NR by Samuel Moniyong
- A short 2021 by Abdullah Hajar