Chronic corrosive oesophagitis
7 year old child with history of swallowing chlorine bleach 4 years ago. After that incident he was unable to swallow again and a gastrostomy tube has been used for nutritional support. He can't swallow his own saliva so he has to spit it.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
The study shows distention of the proximal oesophagus secondary to stricture in the distal part. The stricture was caused by corrosive oesophagitis. Even though the presence of the distal stricture, there's passage of the contrast media to the stomach.
Corrosive esophagitis in children is usually caused by swallowing a detergent accidentally. Damage to the gastrointestinal wall caused by an alkaline substance is generally more severe than that caused by an acid. Corosive esophagitis caused by the intake of an alkaline solution therefore results in the ocurrence of severe esophageal stricture. The damage is more severe in the esophagus than in the stomach, because the acid neutralizes the alkali. The treatment is resection and reconstruction of the esophagus or conservatively by dilation using a bougie or balloon.
- Matsuyama T, Aiko S, Yoshizumi Y, et al. A case of esophageal stricture after corrosive esophagitis successfully treated by frequent endoscopic balloon dilation. Esophagus. 2004;1:193-7.