Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Andrew Murphy had no recorded disclosures.View Andrew Murphy's current disclosures
Motor Vehicle accident, right sided chest/shoulder pain.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
There is a comminuted fracture of the distal aspect of the right clavicle; there is inferior displacement and overlapping of the fragments.
Fractures of the clavicle are common in adults, they account for 44-66% of shoulder fractures 1.The diaphysis of the clavicle is the most common site of fracture in adults, with direct trauma to the shoulder being the prevailing mechanism of injury 2 .
Distal or lateral fractures of the clavicle account for 3% of clavicle injuries 3, they have a high incidence of non-union; proposed to be a result of the forces acting on the medial fragment via the trapezius muscle and the overall weight of the arm on the fracture site 4.
- 1. van der Meijden OA, Gaskill TR, Millett PJ. Treatment of clavicle fractures: current concepts review. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2012;21 (3): 423-9. doi:10.1016/j.jse.2011.08.053 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Paladini P, Pellegrini A, Merolla G et-al. Treatment of clavicle fractures. Transl Med UniSa. 2013;2: 47-58. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. Nordqvist A, Petersson C, Redlund-Johnell I. The natural course of lateral clavicle fracture. 15 (11-21) year follow-up of 110 cases. Acta Orthop Scand. 1993;64 (1): 87-91. Pubmed citation
- 4. Webber M, Haines J. Injury. 2000;31 (3): . doi:10.1016/S0020-1383(99)00276-4
1 article features images from this case
8 public playlists include this case
- rad club april 27 by Anser Abbas
- Trauma by Victoria Berkers
- DI Final- Fractures by Julia McKenna
- Week 2 by Ravi
- Upper extremity fracture and dislocations by kamyar haghshenas
- Basic Trauma by Sunil Garg
- UQ Radiology video tutorial: MSK: Shoulder and clavicle by Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- Bone and Joint exam 1 by Janet Austin